Potato Peels

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
My wife and I just peeled 10 pounds of potatoes. It seems a shame to throw those away. Anyone have any reason I couldn't put these in a bucket, mix them up with a bunch of greens, dried leaves, and re-hydrated grass hay pellets and make a meal of them for my tortoises?

Certainly not something I'd do very often, and I don't think I'd feed them a whole meal of plain potato peels, but as part of a mix would anyone think it would be a problem?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
My wife and I just peeled 10 pounds of potatoes. It seems a shame to throw those away. Anyone have any reason I couldn't put these in a bucket, mix them up with a bunch of greens, dried leaves, and re-hydrated grass hay pellets and make a meal of them for my tortoises?

Certainly not something I'd do very often, and I don't think I'd feed them a whole meal of plain potato peels, but as part of a mix would anyone think it would be a problem?
Here ya go Tom lol

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Like the rest of the forum posters say, raw potatoes (peels) can be very toxic.

Not for turtle or tortoise food.

Raw potato and its peel's has a toxic compound called solanine, which can cause headaches, nausea, diarrhea, and even death in extreme cases. But if you cook the potato peel, you can feed them to your torts.

But I think its too much carb load for a tortoise! ?

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Like the rest of the forum posters say, raw potatoes (peels) can be very toxic.

Not for turtle or tortoise food.

Raw potato and its peel's has a toxic compound called solanine, which can cause headaches, nausea, diarrhea, and even death in extreme cases. But if you cook the potato peel, you can feed them to your torts.

But I think its too much carb load for a tortoise! ?
Does chinese food have solanine? I get those symptoms when i eat it haha

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Does chinese food have solanine? I get those symptoms when i eat it haha

? ? I feel your pain! Your pain comes probably from monosodium glutamate found in the Chinese sauces. Back in the old days when meats where cooked for long periods of time the meat naturally changes chemical compound L-glutamate in where the amino acids create a very savory flavor called "umami". With modern cooking no one wants to do that anymore and we buy sauces premade and they often contain monosodium glutamate that is used to create that flavor artificially. That is what causes your Chinese Takeout Headache!

Here is a link to info on MSG.

Last edited: