Pre travel feast

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Great looking torts. When I first looked at the pic I thought that was a snail next to the big one. When I zoomed in I saw all 4 together. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I took a picture this a.m. of Chasen (Sengo), Leonard and Zipper (from lower left going clockwise):Leonard, Zipper, Chasen 11-15-19.jpg

Chasen is still growing smoothly, thank goodness! I haven't heard from Chase. Hope everything is going ok with him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Originally I was supposed to keep Chasen for Chase only for 2019 summer. Here it is 2020 Summer, and I still have the tortoise. I haven't heard a peep from Chase and I'm pretty worried something has happened to him. I've sent a few emails over the past months with no reply to any of them. I really, really hope he is ok.

So, today's update. Chasen and Zipper (Leonard went outside to live a couple months ago) have outgrown their Vision cage and are too big to be spending 24/7 in there, so I decided to set them up in an outside area for during the days. I'll still bring them back into their Vision cage to spend the nights.

I also have two juvenile desert tortoises I'm going to set up outside today too, and I made a mistake and put Chasen and Zipper in the set up I made for the desert tortoises. Oh well. It still works.

I'm not happy with the milk crate stand. It looks pretty hokey, but maybe I can disguise it with plants. I started out with the bottom of a garbage toter that had been drilled full of holes and used as a pond filter, the milk crates, a piece of plywood and a scrap piece of shade cloth:

Juvenile enclosure a.jpgJuvenile enclosure b.jpgJuvenile enclosure c.jpgJuvenile enclosure d.jpgJuvenile enclosure e.jpg

To this I added some shredded cypress mulch (Will had brought me several bags of cypress mulch, but the pieces/chunks were too big for babies to walk on, so he ran a couple bags through his chipper/shredder. It came out great! I also put in some plants, and topped the cypress with fir bark:

Juvenile enclosure f.jpgJuvenile enclosure g.jpgJuvenile enclosure h.jpgJuvenile enclosure i.jpgJuvenile enclosure j.jpgJuvenile enclosure k.jpg

I guess when it gets to be winter I'll have to put the two of them into one of the tort tables I have in the sheds. Then next summer they can probably go out into the leopard yard with the big kids.

(Let's don't talk about the elephant in the room [two tortoises in one enclosure]. It's a case of do as I say, not as I do)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've put a few plants around outside in front of the milk crates. It doesn't look too bad now:

Juvenile enclosure l.jpg

This is where I had planned to make their outdoor area. It's already inside the leopard yard. You can see my leopard hatchling factory off to the right :

Juvenile enclosure aa.jpg

But I have to give it a good soaking so I can pull up all the grass. I don't want that tall grass coming up through the fir bark substrate:

Juvenile enclosure bb.jpg

But it's lunch time and Misty's telling me to fix her lunch, so this juvenile enclosure will have to wait until tomorrow.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Originally I was supposed to keep Chasen for Chase only for 2019 summer. Here it is 2020 Summer, and I still have the tortoise. I haven't heard a peep from Chase and I'm pretty worried something has happened to him. I've sent a few emails over the past months with no reply to any of them. I really, really hope he is ok.

So, today's update. Chasen and Zipper (Leonard went outside to live a couple months ago) have outgrown their Vision cage and are too big to be spending 24/7 in there, so I decided to set them up in an outside area for during the days. I'll still bring them back into their Vision cage to spend the nights.

I also have two juvenile desert tortoises I'm going to set up outside today too, and I made a mistake and put Chasen and Zipper in the set up I made for the desert tortoises. Oh well. It still works.

I'm not happy with the milk crate stand. It looks pretty hokey, but maybe I can disguise it with plants. I started out with the bottom of a garbage toter that had been drilled full of holes and used as a pond filter, the milk crates, a piece of plywood and a scrap piece of shade cloth:

View attachment 300933View attachment 300934View attachment 300935View attachment 300936View attachment 300937

To this I added some shredded cypress mulch (Will had brought me several bags of cypress mulch, but the pieces/chunks were too big for babies to walk on, so he ran a couple bags through his chipper/shredder. It came out great! I also put in some plants, and topped the cypress with fir bark:

View attachment 300938View attachment 300939View attachment 300940View attachment 300941View attachment 300942View attachment 300943

I guess when it gets to be winter I'll have to put the two of them into one of the tort tables I have in the sheds. Then next summer they can probably go out into the leopard yard with the big kids.

(Let's don't talk about the elephant in the room [two tortoises in one enclosure]. It's a case of do as I say, not as I do)
Looks great!

turtlebean

Connecticut
What a cool thread to read! It’s so nice to see you taking such good care of little Sengo/Chasen :) I hope you hear from Chasen soon!! This seems like a little mystery so keep us posted!!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Wow @Yvonne G you have been busy.... So Chasen was to go off to “Cape Cod” to work... Do you know where exactly & what line of work? You ever hear from him once he arrived? All very mysterious indeed.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
No, he shipped the tortoise to me and I've never heard from him again. I'm quite worried about him.
Two people that I have known, in completely separate circumstances, have vanished with no warning, and I was never able to find out what happened to them. It's a really rotten feeling. And now Chasen...I liked him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, it's just too darned hot for those little guys to be outside! The new enclosure is in the shade with only dappled sun in the morning, and all shade in the afternoon, but putting the temp gun on their carapace in the afternoon when I brought them inside, it was over 100F degrees. So I guess they'll just have to stay indoors until it cools off some in the Fall.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Dang! Nice little outdoor setup-you get some vines to grow and the milk crates would disappear. Heck you can barely see my buckets I used for my garden this year. This picture is from april- BTW I am a huge fan of repurposing
IMG_2556.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Leonard spent this summer outside, day and night, and did quite well. So a couple weeks ago, after Chasen knocked down the light, tipped over the bricks holding up the RHP (several times) and tipped the dirt and plant out of the pot, the light bulb over my head told me he is now too big to be kept in that Vision cage. So, instead of making him an above the ground outside enclosure, Maggie set him and Zipper up in a small pen next to the greenhouse. I'll see if I can get you a picture on this Kindle. BRB

Last edited:

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
It looks good! Bless Maggie for doing that...it's hard work dragging those boards around.

And is that your cane? It doesn't do much to help you laying on the ground. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I wouldn't mind keeping him forever, he's a pretty good looking tortoise, but my babcock group is top heavy, with six males and only three females. Besides that, I'm worried about Chase. What in the world has happened to him?

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Hopefully Chase is ok, and even if he somehow can’t take care of the tortoise he can still let you know.
You have to activate your online search skills.
Pretty much everyone has some digital print now days.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
So you pretty much have Chasen and he is with you forever.
Some crazy story.
This is how I ended up with a Rottweiler.
We were also told he hates beds.

View attachment 308024
Oh Man! Is he flashing a dirty look or what! I love Rotts. My nephew keeps them and seems to have a lot of'em. Pits are my favorite dog, but Rotts are next...but I repeat, he looks mad...lol

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
It looks good! Bless Maggie for doing that...it's hard work dragging those boards around.

No blessing Maggie. I helped Y as much as I could, I went there to take care of her animals... I didn't create the pen, I just cut the tall grass in there and messed around some then put both Leo's in there.
I probably could have done a better job at keeping her tortoises if she would have just taken her pain pills and slept, but noooo, she didn't. (lol)! So she pushed me around and bossed me, but I knew that was gonna be the way. She has tortoises and turtles that she never posts about. She's afraid criminals would find her place and her tortoises would disappear. Hot, omg 100 degrees. I moved to Oregon 15 years ago. People in Oregon don't tan, they rust. It rains so much there the green on my legs is mold. So I don't care for it hot anymore. And she expected me to do outside chores. Seriously. In that heat? Crap. So at first she put the food out for me, I'd fix it then go feed. I operated a small special needs turtle and tortoise rescue. Small I said. So as I'm going around feeding, I'm playing with tortoises, picking up box turtles, oh man. The box turtles. Eastern, Florida, 3-toed, Gulf Coast. Each sub-species in their own pen. The Easterns knocked me out. I brought all kinds of crap with me, but why oh why did I not bring my battery charger. I got photos of Dudley. I am a Sulcata person. I love Sulcata. The last time I saw Dudley he was probably 100+ lbs, he was the only pictures I got, and that was on the first day. The camera does not show how freakin big he is now.
Continued on Road Trip...

Karen, ya can't tell her sh*t...