Predators

SuaveSushi

I'm looking to build an outdoor enclosure for my 5 inch Russian. I live in a wooded area and we have several Hawks and owls. I was just wondering if I should keep the entire area enclosed or half/half or what is best for him!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm looking to build an outdoor enclosure for my 5 inch Russian. I live in a wooded area and we have several Hawks and owls. I was just wondering if I should keep the entire area enclosed or half/half or what is best for him!

This is going to vary based on a lot of factors. I live out in the country on the edge of the national forest. We have every predator you can imagine in abundance. They are deterred by a number of factors. I have no problem leaving 3-4" tortoises outside with no cover. I bring them inside at night and older, larger tortoises are locked up at night in temperature controlled boxes in their enclosures.

In most cases, a 5" tortoise will be fine outside all day. Hawks and ravens usually won't mess with one that big. If you have coyotes, bears, raccoons or pet dogs traipsing through your yard at will, then you should build a fully enclosed cage.