Pregnancy

saukee9

5 Year Member
My Russian female, Natalia, laid eggs (4) on January 1, 2016. I just had her at the Vet for an x-ray because she was digging again. The x-ray shows she has three eggs. How is this possible when she just laid a month ago?

saukee9

5 Year Member
I am just amazed!!! I am hoping that they are all fertile!! She laid them this morning around 5:00 am. They are in the incubator now!!!

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Few of my cherryhead red foots lay every 30 days like clockwork 3-4 times a year.

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeastern US
My Russian laid 4 clutches 2-3 weeks apart last year.
This year 3 clutches same time spacing.
No successful hatches last year, this years total of 7 - 2 already infertile and rotate, but 5 still in the incubator now, 3 have chalked, so I'm very hopeful

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
My Russian lays a few clutches spaced 2-3 weeks apart, and more than once per year.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well I know I've mentioned somewhere on a thread before. Can't find it though. Tortoises are similar to mammals and even humans. They ovulate like any other mammal or animal would. It's just cycled differently. Female Mammals like primates, great apes, and homosapians will ovulate every 19-23 days averaged(can vary of course depending on anatomy, genes, diet, environment etc). With certain reptiles they will start a cycle depending on species during a specific timeframe that is solely represented by its regional origin. Some species hibernate, some species do not. But even in parts of the world where they're is no "winter" and I hypothesized winter because it's not the winter we as humans think with snow and cold nights and shorter days etc. dry and wet seasons for Equatorial species for instance mimic the similar representations of a summer to winter affect. The beginning of the Dry season is typically the off season for tortoises to not ovulate but rather in the mid so they ovulate develope follicles in the oviduct and begin producing ova(eggs) then lay them once the sperm, embryo and ova are encapsulated into a shell utilized by calcium and minerals pulled from the animals body. Once laid in a perfectly timely fashion they typically hatch just at the beginning of the wet season or midway through as most clutches(ovulation& development of ova occurs typically on average (again depends on species) every 25-35 days) are laid in a length of time apart. some species like Pyxis, Malocochersus, homopus and psammobates will lay only 1-2 eggs per clutch every 30 days and only 2-3 times a year once first clutch is developed. Some species like redfoots(an average Equatorial species) will develope and lay eggs for almost half the year every 2-4 weeks. Same with Central American turtles. Soley based coexisting relationship between weather patterns, species and ovulation cycles play a big roll.

Blah blah blah. Sorry I went off on a rant. Hope that made sense.

KatyshaB

Northern Utah
Wow... that comment deserves a like. You did help. I'm gonna read it again to make sure I haven't forgotten anything, but from what I understand.. Is you basically said it depends on the reptile's genes, (correct me if I'm wrong) and the species. Idk where I can find a answer to that question but anyway. I have a Russian Tort. And they usually ovulate (I don't know if the used that word right, correct me if i'm wrong) during the first few weeks after hibernation (they do hibernate, but I don't hibernate them because if you don't keep a close watch on there diet, it can be risky), they lay 6-10 eggs, and usually begin producing eggs after a month or so after mating. What I came here to ask is if anybody knew if it was possible to get the female fertile even after that two week time frame has gone by. Now what I think you said.. (Bare with me here) is that torts are similar to humans in the way they get pregnant. (Again, correct me if I'm wrong) And that there is a certain time frame where they can get pregnant. Now, I wouldn't care as much about monitoring there mating if it didn't cause the female stress, at least with Russian Torts the male is very aggressive, and bites her (sometimes casing damage), and pushes her around, casing her to have a tremendous amount of stress on her back (sometimes literally). And I want to get her pregnant but if there mating with no chance of her getting fertile. Then I'm just torturing her. So from what you said. (I'll be saying this a lot, correct me if I'm wrong) I will not put them together again. Thank you. You certainly know what your doing.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
What I mean is that it is in the genetic makeup of the Russian species. They're always(with a grain of salt) going to lay naturally upon their natural "clock" whether they are kept somewhere else or even not hibernated. It can vary from where they are kept though too. Hence the usage of grain of salt. So many tiny details can play a role in the exact same species for different people based on diet, and location. Like Southern California will be vastly different for New York weather patterns. But for the most part the same species will have a window and lay eggs typically around the same season. Now when getting into captive generations you can somewhat force an evolutionary standard to reptiles(kinda hard with tortoises as they sexually mature a lot slower) for them lay and develope eggs triggered off the where they are kept and raised up generation after generation somewhat changing the egg cycle. But not changing the durability of the species to survive hotter or colder environments vastly. But they can adapt and change quite a bit from wild or single captive generations.

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
My Russian female, Natalia, laid eggs (4) on January 1, 2016. I just had her at the Vet for an x-ray because she was digging again. The x-ray shows she has three eggs. How is this possible when she just laid a month ago?
Any luck with hatching any of her eggs??