Pregnant Russian?

Mharlin22

Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, TX
Hello,

So I work at a pet store and we received a pretty big female about 2 weeks ago. She is around 7 inches long and ever since we got her she has been showing signs of having eggs. She is very restless, constantly wanting to dig in the corner where the heat source is, etc. I know she is wild caught but was wondering if it is possible that she could be pregnant. I have no idea how long she would have been in the warehouses they keep them in or really anything about her. However, if it is possibility I want to make sure she gets to a vet to confirm it and then put into a better housing environment so she will lay them.

Thanks in advanced for any information!!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
If she is digging with her back legs then yes she needs a nesting area pronto. They dig with that front legs to burrow.

Mharlin22

Dallas, TX
Once she has a proper nesting area, how long will it take for her to lay them? Or does it just depend?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
It depends. I would build a hide that is at least 10 inches deep of substrate. Keep it moist and warm. This worked for my female Russian last winter. I saw her digging at a pet store. They didn't care so I rescued her. She laid three eggs, but I didn't know until this summer when I moved her outside and repurposed the hide box.