Pretend chat 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
Kerryann said:
Nothing feels wider than thinking about someone going through your stuff. :( my truck has only been violated if i leave it unlocked. It stinks snag people are horrible.

My car was unlocked but the officer said one of the cars was locked and they just smashed the window. Robs car was in the garage so his car was fine. Rob wants me to park in the garage but it takes me moving all the kids scooters and bikes out of the way to get in and out and it's a huge pain!!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
My car contents got robbed last year. It just so happened that the guy who stole my GPS and money (yes, I leave money in my car) was caught that same evening. I didn't get my cash back but I did get my GPS Back. The officer who caught him told me the whole story a few days later. I think I left my car doors unlocked. Stupid me. Anyhow, I understand your frustration.

Also, now Honey Boy has wheezing and I spent $340 today between him and my dog's annual shots and meds. I hated today!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I've never locked my car except while in town. The keys are hanging in the ignition as I text. Closed gate, two dirt roads, 90lb. Doberman and I've got a twisted reputation here bouts from the music I listen to and crazy annual bullriding events. Karen gets mad at me if I tell her I picked up a hitchhiker, cause she's worried something bad will happen to me, but I never pick anyone up if she's in the car, and I think I'm a good judge of character.

I would love to live in town and bait people to rob my car. I'd have way too much fun.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Cowboy_Ken said:
I've never locked my car except while in town. The keys are hanging in the ignition as I text. Closed gate, two dirt roads, 90lb. Doberman and I've got a twisted reputation here bouts from the music I listen to and crazy annual bullriding events. Karen gets mad at me if I tell her I picked up a hitchhiker, cause she's worried something bad will happen to me, but I never pick anyone up if she's in the car, and I think I'm a good judge of character.

I would love to live in town and bait people to rob my car. I'd have way too much fun.

Speaking of giant dogs Dagny totally failed as a watch dog because we slept with our bedroom windows open last night and one is kind of near the driveway and she slept like a baby and also when the officer knocked on the door to take my report, Dagny knocked everyone out of the way to say Hi and love on the officer.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
We have the sheriff deputy car parked across the road since that's where he lives. And another officer lives a road down from us. My boyfriend left his car unlocked with the keys in it and GPS and no one stole anything. Not to say they wouldn't... But they didn't that night.

I've been feeling so sleepy lately and I think it's due to my poor eating choices yesterday. Bacon cheeseburger, soda, fries, ice cream, and crackers were all I had yesterday and I'm just feeling so sluggish and blah. I made stuffed bell peppers for dinner and that made me feel a bit better. Although thinking tomorrow I need a salad or something!

My boyfriend gets cheap gym memberships and we're thinking of joining. Would only be $16 a month for each of us. We kept saying we'd just walk the dogs more instead of joining a gym but when it's 90 - 100 degrees with 80% humidity not even the dogs want to set foot outside, let alone exercise.

I need to work out more now while younger before my metabolism pretty much hits a dead end lol. Shame, I love food, especially of the not good for me variety.

Oh, and watching Sharknado in all it's horribleness that was expected. If you liked sharknado, you should watch Hobo with a Shotgun, lol.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I get to exercise three times a week for 4 months for free. Part of the health program after a heart attack. Wish I had done it BEFORE the heart attack.

Erin, Dagny is so cute. That's what Danes do. They're not guard dogs no matter their size. They are simply gentle giants. And that's why you love him.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
Oh man! I know how you feel. I have had my car stolen from my apartment complex... I remember getting it back and it was just trashed... people can be jerks! They had put out cigarets on the seats and had puked all over it.

flood lights are a great idea... even if you dont notice them go on, they still deter robbers. I always notice when my neighbors flood lights turn on.

sibi said:
I get to exercise three times a week for 4 months for free. Part of the health program after a heart attack. Wish I had done it BEFORE the heart attack.

Erin, Dagny is so cute. That's what Danes do. They're not guard dogs no matter their size. They are simply gentle giants. And that's why you love him.

starting to exercise now is still better than never! just stay strong and keep with it.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Erin, my dogs slept through it too and I have two of them. Our neighbors come home late often though. We did put up a flood light and I was hateful about it to be honest. I didn't like the looks of the light even though Mike picked a nicer one.
The police officer who responded said neighborhoods like ours are getting hit more often. The criminals know that our area is dark, we all feel safe, and cars will be unlocked. I was really upset. We moved here because my old neighborhood had crime.
The reality is starting to be that you just can't trust people.
The one good thing about the Beverly hillbillies is that the grandpa is a retired police man, so it gives me hope that he can identify people as criminals.

By the way exercisers, i lost four pounds last week. I work out in my bedroom before I shower in the morning.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
CtTortoiseMom said:
So I moved lighting up on my list and called an electrician, the electrician came and said he could come on sat and get flood lights on the back deck and above garage but I need to get rid of the bees problem I have. Huh!!! Crow! I have a bee problem! Called exterminator they came out and said I gave a pretty bad bee problem but they will squeeze me in next day. They said they can make it so the bees won't come back on the house but the house will have to be resprayed every year because of all of my perennials along the house and in the yard. Next call landscape architect to come and rip out all gardens and just leave bushes. I barely have time to shower, so I am definitely not spending my free time gardening!! The bee spray alone cost's $400 & I'm not bathing my house in chemicals every year for some flowers!! So that was my frustrating day!!!

I would think there would be other options. My home is surrounded with perennials (and I add more each year), but I don't have a bee problem. I don't understand why you would or why you would really need spraying each year (sounds like a bug company ripping you off). Thought one of the things you liked about your home were the flower beds? You and I are just so different. I think nonblooming bushes are the ugliest things and should be the plants ripped up. :rolleyes: Plus there goes some great tortoise food no doubt.... :(

sibi said:
Also, now Honey Boy has wheezing and I spent $340 today between him and my dog's annual shots and meds. I hated today!

:( Darn!

Cowboy_Ken said:
Ava alerts when the neighbors come home 2acres away.

Sounds a bit like my dogs... and the neighbor's dogs. Plus certain trucks are not liked at all (do or have held dogs in the past which my dogs did not approve of). I don't leave my keys in the ignition, but most often do not lock my truck. I do when we get a large influx of strangers into the village however. I know I use to be the only person who locks my front door of the house. :D

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
CtTortoiseMom said:
I have a bee problem!

Truly bee, as in “honey bee"? I ask because in these parts people us bee as a generic name for any flying, stinging insect.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
We've had paper wasps try to build nests and just raid sprayed them away. As for honey bees, often people will pay you to take a hive since they can use them for honey. And don't kill the honey bees! I hate wasps and yellow jackets but bees are ok since they serve a purpose.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Honey bees will kill me in 45 mins. if I get stung. That said, at least you can talk to honey bees, whereas yellow jackets are carnivorous, and see us as a food source!

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
There's a foreclosed home in an upscale neighborhood that my boyfriend likes. It's 2600 sq ft and 4 bd, 4 ba with garage and yard. Definitely a few of the rooms are fixer uppers (one wall looks carpeted, blech) and ancient carpet for the bedrooms... Asking price is 139k and the neighbor houses are all worth 260k+. I'm like, okay what's wrong other than dated?

I've been watching too much DIY network too so he should guard his wallet...

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Yep, I meant honey bee but was told that there were more wasps and wood bee's than the typical honey bee which was good news because they are apparently easier to kill.

Jacqui, I will take pictures and show you how out of control my gardens are. I just spent two hours in 90 degree weather a couple days ago pulling weeds that were taller than me. I love perennials but I don't have the time to weed and when I get the time I don't enjoy it. My fingers get cut and bugs get all over me. Rob said to hire a gardener to come once a week but I would feel like a fraud. People around here use how much "help" they have as some sort of status. I pride myself on lack of help.

Lily with the first tarp full of weeds...
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1374264744.609216.jpg
Since I am showing pics, lily and I got our toes done today when the exterminator was at the house, rand went too....
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1374264843.651804.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1374264889.543902.jpg
And just for the heck of it my 3 at Depicable Me 2 which was great btw..
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1374264960.031785.jpg

RosieRedfoot said:
We've had paper wasps try to build nests and just raid sprayed them away. As for honey bees, often people will pay you to take a hive since they can use them for honey. And don't kill the honey bees! I hate wasps and yellow jackets but bees are ok since they serve a purpose.

Everything serves a purpose. I looked into the bee guy but he has a several step process and I needed this done by tomorrow so I i had to do it this way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
CtTortoiseMom said:
Lily with the first tarp full of weeds...

I think spell check got you here. I'm sure you meant, “Lily with the first tarp full of trees..."
But above is what actually got posted.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
RosieRedfoot said:
There's a foreclosed home in an upscale neighborhood that my boyfriend likes. It's 2600 sq ft and 4 bd, 4 ba with garage and yard. Definitely a few of the rooms are fixer uppers (one wall looks carpeted, blech) and ancient carpet for the bedrooms... Asking price is 139k and the neighbor houses are all worth 260k+. I'm like, okay what's wrong other than dated?

As long as its not the nicest one on the street, I'd say go for it!! You never want to carry your neighbors with a high value house.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
CtTortoiseMom said:
Jacqui, I will take pictures and show you how out of control my gardens are. I just spent two hours in 90 degree weather a couple days ago pulling weeds that were taller than me. I love perennials but I don't have the time to weed and when I get the time I don't enjoy it. My fingers get cut and bugs get all over me. Rob said to hire a gardener to come once a week but I would feel like a fraud. People around here use how much "help" they have as some sort of status. I pride myself on lack of help.

:D Erin, I guess before you talk about out of control, I should let you know that I spend about 2 hours a day watering and atleast 4 hours every day cutting and pulling weeds. A couple of weeks ago I had like 6 truckloads (heaping ones) of weeds taken to the dump. I have atleast four more right now waiting to go. Each garbage day, I also have 4-6 cans over filled with weeds for them to take. I too hate to weed, but do enjoy the sense of accomplishment I get with it... also has been known to help burn up anger. :D I finally learned to wear gardening gloves to keep my hands from getting so cut up. Fact is, I usually have a pair in my back pocket. I even am going through a pair of shoes each month because of my garden work. So fair warning it will take a lot to impress me as your flowers being out of control.

P.S. Wishing I lived closer, I'd be taking away some of those flowers to plant at my place. Believe it or not, I have a much harder time not spending money on plants, then I do on tortoises. On my first day of being a major lottery winner, you will find me going to all the garden centers. :D

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
RosieRedfoot said:

We got our house at a steal and now we have a lot of equity when most of our friends still are not breaking even since the market drop here. They thought we took on to much when we bought this place but even with the money we put in, we would walk away with a 25% increase at this point. I say go for it.
The downsides of a big house are cleaning and heating/cooling costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.