pretend chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Speaking of Olympics in my CTTC chapter we have an older man whose daughter is an Olympic archery type person (I don't know the technical term)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
jaizei said:
Jacqui said:
Reminds me a bit of Dee's daughter. She was almost to being in the Olympic soccer squad, when she injured herself during an exhibition game. :( I can't think of her user name in here something that starts with a "j". She is from NJ and is one of the original members. Her daughter is better now, but as I recall she too will not see that potential reached. :(

jlyoncc1?

Yes!!! She is just the sweetest most welcoming person in real life. Do you know her?

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Argh! Another northeast cold spell a'comin! Highs only in the mid to upper 50's starting Friday! Get those torts out for some last minute sunshine while you can!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
AnthonyC said:
Argh! Another northeast cold spell a'comin! Highs only in the mid to upper 50's starting Friday! Get those torts out for some last minute sunshine while you can!

This in and out game, is what I dislike the most about this time of year. :(

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
We are having the nicest fall intro ever! It has been so mild, with a couple of light frosts at lower elevations (like at street level but not above the retaining wall LOL). I have new grass sprouting and flowers are blooming because they got transplanted at an odd time and are a little confused. When I step outside with the dogs in the pre-dawn hours, there is a difference in the sound of the leaves on the silver poplars in the neighborhood, otherwise no hint of the cold times to come. I love this time of year!!!

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Wow Edna! Are you related to Henry David Thoreau or Walt Whitman b/c that was so beautifully descriptive! I felt like I was right there with you!! :)

Edna said:
We are having the nicest fall intro ever! It has been so mild, with a couple of light frosts at lower elevations (like at street level but not above the retaining wall LOL). I have new grass sprouting and flowers are blooming because they got transplanted at an odd time and are a little confused. When I step outside with the dogs in the pre-dawn hours, there is a difference in the sound of the leaves on the silver poplars in the neighborhood, otherwise no hint of the cold times to come. I love this time of year!!!

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
AnthonyC said:
Wow Edna! Are you related to Henry David Thoreau or Walt Whitman b/c that was so beautifully descriptive! I felt like I was right there with you!! :)

Thanks for your kind words, Anthony. I'm no relation to anyone amazing. I'm just the 1st grade teacher who would like to have all communication from the school administration limited to haiku. Tweets might be OK for those who can't manage the syllables:)

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I teach 7/8th grade ELA and everyone thinks my job is hard, but I think 1st grade teachers are the real warriors!!... I've never had a student come up to me and say, "I just had an accident in my pants."... Hopefully it'll stay that way... you can't see it but my fingers are crossed! :):)

Edna said:
AnthonyC said:

Thanks for your kind words, Anthony. I'm no relation to anyone amazing. I'm just the 1st grade teacher who would like to have all communication from the school administration limited to haiku. Tweets might be OK for those who can't manage the syllables:)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
AnthonyC said:
"I just had an accident in my pants."

Welcome to my world

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
AnthonyC said:
I teach 7/8th grade ELA and everyone thinks my job is hard, but I think 1st grade teachers are the real warriors!!... I've never had a student come up to me and say, "I just had an accident in my pants."... Hopefully it'll stay that way... you can't see it but my fingers are crossed! :):)

Accidents of that nature are infrequent and whenever one happens I have to re-evaluate my classroom management. Paper cuts and other boo-boos are daily, bloody noses and sick tummies frequent. None of these things bother me at all. The one thing that frightens me is athsma attacks. Sometimes kids get way behind on oxygen and can't even tell me that that's what the problem is, so I have to ask questions and figure it out. What if I didn't know what that feels like and couldn't figure it out? Easier to see, but just as scary, is the kid who goes outside to play and comes back in wheezing. Nebulizers and inhalers are great!!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
[/quote]

Accidents of that nature are infrequent and whenever one happens I have to re-evaluate my classroom management. Paper cuts and other boo-boos are daily, bloody noses and sick tummies frequent. None of these things bother me at all. The one thing that frightens me is athsma attacks. Sometimes kids get way behind on oxygen and can't even tell me that that's what the problem is, so I have to ask questions and figure it out. What if I didn't know what that feels like and couldn't figure it out? Easier to see, but just as scary, is the kid who goes outside to play and comes back in wheezing. Nebulizers and inhalers are great!!
[/quote]

The asthma issue is a scary one. I have dealt with this in my house for years. One of the best purchases we ever made is when we bought our pulse oximeter. You can buy it in a child's size and just slip it on their index finger and immediately see the child's BP & oxygen saturation levels. It helps me to know which measures need to be taken in fighting an astma attack or if just the controller inhaler is needed. It might make you feel more comfortable to have one in your classroom. When my daughter was in first grade she didn't know she could not breathe she would say she was tired, dizzy or had a headache. Sometimes we would be lucky enough to notice her lips were blue but not often. That is a scary age to have asthma!!!! Good luck and god bless you!!

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
CtTortoiseMom said:
The asthma issue is a scary one. I have dealt with this in my house for years. One of the best purchases we ever made is when we bought our pulse oximeter. You can buy it in a child's size and just slip it on their index finger and immediately see the child's BP & oxygen saturation levels. It helps me to know which measures need to be taken in fighting an astma attack or if just the controller inhaler is needed. It might make you feel more comfortable to have one in your classroom. When my daughter was in first grade she didn't know she could not breathe she would say she was tired, dizzy or had a headache. Sometimes we would be lucky enough to notice her lips were blue but not often. That is a scary age to have asthma!!!! Good luck and god bless you!!

Do you have the $29 pulse oximeter or a more expensive one? If the school nurse says it's OK to use one in my room, I wouldn't mind getting one. I had a little guy last year who would get this look on his face like he was just focused on something else (focused on breathing) and sometimes it took a while for me to catch on.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I have the "clinical guard pulse oximeter for children". I believe it was about $29.

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Georgetown/Hutto/Austin,Tx
AnthonyC said:
Honestly I don't even have a clue what the heck that is.

step 1: copy tinychat.com/tortoiseforum into your browser bar
step 2: pick a nickname/username
step 3: press GO button and enjoy :)

Its just a chat room but it has been set up for TFO members

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Is it popular b/c I only hang out where the cool kids hang out! Haha! No, seriously will it be me and... well ME in there??

sulcatababies1402 said:
AnthonyC said:
Honestly I don't even have a clue what the heck that is.

step 1: copy tinychat.com/tortoiseforum into your browser bar
step 2: pick a nickname/username
step 3: press GO button and enjoy :)

Its just a chat room but it has been set up for TFO members

Status
Not open for further replies.