Pricing help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulkal

5 Year Member
I have to sell my two yearling leopard tortoises, because I probably cannot take them to Germany with me :'( Please do not judge, its because of an unexpected job offer. Already feel like some brat.

My question is, what pricing would be adequate. I am selling them with
all the equipment which includes brandnew and unused 100 W MVB/CHE, 1 deep dome 10" and one of the 'normal' 8,5 " light fixtures, lamp stand, 100 W waterproof heatcable, thermostat, thermo/hygrometer, temp gun unopened mazuri, eco earth bricks, supplements(Calcium, ReptAid, cuttle bones, vitashell),bowls, hides, fake plants, rubbermaid box, grazing seed mix...I have a bunch of unopened and opened stuff in my tortoise pantry.
They are a bit pyramided because they were started dry, but I have been using the humid routine ever since I got them in October '12.
Also, where best to sell them? I thought of here, craigslist, ebay classified.

Is 450-500 $ for everything together or 125$ for one tortoise
(thats for how much I got them) justified? But I don't know if that's too much...

Thanks for your help. It's rather sad.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I think it's reasonable to ask $500 for all that, but be happy if you get $300 total.

ripdsawyer

5 Year Member
Ohio
Wish I had the money is take them. But I'm already too invested in getting my set up going. I think that sounds reasonable

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I do not recommend craigslist for this. It really is outside the boundaries of cl tos. The idea there is to ask a small rehoming fee. Which is a percentage of your full retail price. I will personally never pay full retail price for any animal on cl. Asking for what you paid is begging to be flagged because you are then "selling" rather than rehoming.
The forum here, faunaclassifieds or a local turtle and tortoise club would be good alternatives.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
I would also reccomend selling them through this forum if you can. Then you can be almost guaranteed they will go to a fantastic loving home.

ulkal

5 Year Member
Thanks. I'm aware that I have to go down in the price, just needed a starting point.

kanalomele, I did not know that, thanks for pointing this out. And I did not know the other
website.
I agree with you, leopardtortlover, in the end good home > $.

ripdsawyer, I pm'd you.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Wish I could take one but I'm in Canada and don't know, but imagine border crossings are a pain in the pittuty!
We have been giving thought to getting a second to house with Benny, after an isolation time as recommended here, but I want a yearling so they will be the same age and approx size.
I certainly agree with everyone here though, if you can find a forum member you'll know you have someone that actually wants to do the best for them and will continue to care for them as you have.
Best of luck

kjr153

5 Year Member
If I were you I'd just try to find the torts a home and sell the stuff on Craigslist. Shipping will be easier if you sell just the Tort. Then you can take your time selling all of the other stuff.

ulkal

5 Year Member
LeopardTortLover said:
Where are you based ulkal?

I am in Los Angeles.

Ja, most important thing is to find a good home for the torts. Its just that the stuff is only 2-6 months old and I thought it might be good for someone who wants their first leopard, so they have all the stuff.
I guess I will see what people offer and then negotiate. Its hard to make the step and
put it up though, I am already procrastinating...

Thanks for all your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.