Prickly pear and cuttlebone questions

drew54

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
I have a whole cuttlebone in my babies enclosure. I have seen him once try to bite it. Should I break it up or anything? I also use calcium powder once a week.

My second issue is that I cut up a cactus pad in tiny little bite size pieces smaller than its head, but he can't bite through the pieces. Should I prep it a different way or just not introduce it yet? When I put it in there he seems to want to eat them but can't.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Leave the cuttlebone whole. Chewing it is good for beak maintenance :)

I don't have experience with prickly pear so won't comment on that

drew54

Indiana
Leave the cuttlebone whole. Chewing it is good for beak maintenance :)

I don't have experience with prickly pear so won't comment on that

I think I'm going to mix it up into his grass and weeds. That will give the little guy a chance to eat it. Thank you for all your help! I appreciate it very much. :)

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I have a whole cuttlebone in my babies enclosure. I have seen him once try to bite it. Should I break it up or anything? I also use calcium powder once a week.

My second issue is that I cut up a cactus pad in tiny little bite size pieces smaller than its head, but he can't bite through the pieces. Should I prep it a different way or just not introduce it yet? When I put it in there he seems to want to eat them but can't.

If you tortoise is currently unable to cut succulents apart with his or her beak, cut the opuntia pads small enough so it will be able to fit inside your tortoise's mouth. I usually just feed tortoises whole pads, spines and all. They start off slow when young but will eventually be able to polish off entire pad(s) in a matter of minutes.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ

I serve spineless prickly pear cactus to my babies twice a week.

On one day I cut it up into small squares and slice off the thin outer skin on both sides, which leaves the spongy middle that is easier for them to bite into.

The second day I'll cut it up and put it through my Nutri-Bullet blender for a couple seconds to dice it up, then I mix it with moistened Mazuri.

They chow down on both days with no problems.

I also leave the whole cuttlebones in their enclosures. Their beaks can easily scrape off what they need.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I feed the opuntia pads to my hatchlings whole. They have no problem biting off chunks and use the weight of the pad to pull against. I use small tender pads for the babies.

drew54

Indiana
Thanks everyone for the advice! I will try a combination of these and see which he prefers. I also, probably should name him soon.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Thanks everyone for the advice! I will try a combination of these and see which he prefers. I also, probably should name him soon.

I will be glad when you do!!! Every baby needs a name:))