probably getting my grandpas sulcata tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdguy

5 Year Member
Probably getting the turtles what all do i need to do know before i go and get them he doesn't know much about them but people help him he isn't from around America lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi birdguy and welcome to the Forum!!

Like I've said before, we're good here on the forum, but we're not THAT good. We're going to have to have a bit more info. Maybe some pictures?

The different kinds (species) of tortoise require differing care, so we really can't tell you how to care for them until we see them to know what they are.

OOPS! I see in the subject line that they are Sulcatas. I've got just the thing for you...

Go to the first page of the Forum, and scroll down to African tortoises, then click on Sulcatas. The few threads up at the top of the section tell you how to care for the Sulcata tortoise. After you've done your homework, if you have specific questions, we're happy to help you.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Welcome BirdGuy,
Your grandfather has inspired me to make a tortoise folder on my computer that will have the needed information on the care of my tortoises. I'm sure they will end up in their care at some point in their lives.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where are you? Where are they? How big are they? How big of a space do you have for them? How many and what sexes? How is he keeping them now?

birdguy

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi birdguy and welcome to the Forum!!

Like I've said before, we're good here on the forum, but we're not THAT good. We're going to have to have a bit more info. Maybe some pictures?

The different kinds (species) of tortoise require differing care, so we really can't tell you how to care for them until we see them to know what they are.

OOPS! I see in the subject line that they are Sulcatas. I've got just the thing for you...

Go to the first page of the Forum, and scroll down to African tortoises, then click on Sulcatas. The few threads up at the top of the section tell you how to care for the Sulcata tortoise. After you've done your homework, if you have specific questions, we're happy to help you.

Sorry i thought i put that they were adult sulcatas

birdguy

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Where are you? Where are they? How big are they? How big of a space do you have for them? How many and what sexes? How is he keeping them now?

Arizona. They are in Arizona...they are fully grown...like 4 i beleive.....u have 2 acres for them think 2 females two males they also own his backyard lol

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
well you are going to need a very large, well planted yard. They are grazers. you will need shade, water source and some place to keep heated inthe winter..
and you must post some pictures!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
How old? Because full-grown never happens! They grow throughout their lives! They can get up to 250 pounds! Try to get some pictures up so we can help you with your situation a little better! Do you know if they're grazing...or are they eating hay? If they're on a hay diet...I imagine they'd be quite big! But that's only conjecture on my end...

yazzy1012

5 Year Member
What part of Arizona? I live in Arizona as well and have a rather large adult male. Usually during the summer my male decides to burrow anyway and most nights does not sleep in his house, so with summer coming up this is a good time to see how they will act. Definitely still need to build a house of some sort due to them needing shade. How big are they? 2 females and 2 males right?

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

Sulcatas ROCK!

Do you know how old they are? I have a 13 year old that is @125lbs (New Updates to follow for those interested! ;) )

4 adults (defined as breeding age, not size) is a pretty big inheritance for a noobie owner but if you have the property and proper housing, can be an AWSOME Inheritance at that!

The Adventure Begins! :p

birdguy

5 Year Member
Zamric said:
Welcome to the Forum!

Sulcatas ROCK!

Do you know how old they are? I have a 13 year old that is @125lbs (New Updates to follow for those interested! ;) )

4 adults (defined as breeding age, not size) is a pretty big inheritance for a noobie owner but if you have the property and proper housing, can be an AWSOME Inheritance at that!

I beleive they are around 10 to 15 years.old

birdguy

5 Year Member
yazzy1012 said:
What part of Arizona? I live in Arizona as well and have a rather large adult male. Usually during the summer my male decides to burrow anyway and most nights does not sleep in his house, so with summer coming up this is a good time to see how they will act. Definitely still need to build a house of some sort due to them needing shade. How big are they? 2 females and 2 males right?

Im in Peoria

birdguy

5 Year Member
Zamric said:
Welcome to the Forum!

Sulcatas ROCK!

I will try and get some pictures. never really visit my grandpa. when he moved to America for some reason he got tortoises idk why

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
birdguy said:
I will try and get some pictures. never really visit my grandpa. when he moved to America for some reason he got tortoises idk why

I cant wait to see the Pics!

...as you will find out, owning large tortoises has a facination like nothing else! I suspect you will be a big contributers here at the Forum for quite sometime as you learn the ins-and-outs of these majestic creatures and find that they will each have it's own personality and quirks like any other pet....except it is shaped and acts like a small bull dozer! :D

Then you will know why your Grandpa got them!

birdguy

5 Year Member
birdguy said:
I will try and get some pictures never really visit my grandpa when he moved to America for some reason he got tortoises idk why

Actually they are about 25 years old just talked to him

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
birdguy said:
birdguy said:
I will try and get some pictures never really visit my grandpa when he moved to America for some reason he got tortoises idk why

Actually they are about 25 years old just talked to him

WOW! can you say 'Jackpot!"?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Birdguy, are you finding the answers you need?

25 years old would make them among the first captive bred ones in the country. They were just starting to take off and become available and known back then. Or are these wild caught individuals that were imported back then?

Are you into birds? I train and handle all sorts of birds from pigeons to parrots to vultures and hawks.

yazzy1012

5 Year Member
Wow 25! That's awesome. Vet has said my big boy is around 15-20. I live in east Mesa. When will you be getting them?

birdguy

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Birdguy, are you finding the answers you need?

25 years old would make them among the first captive bred ones in the country. They were just starting to take off and become available and known back then. Or are these wild caught individuals that were imported back then?

Are you into birds? I train and handle all sorts of birds from pigeons to parrots to vultures and hawks.

Same here we have hawks owls vultures an emu and many exotics and wools birds at our rescue and rehabilitation so were the same lol but I'm 14

yazzy1012 said:
Wow 25! That's awesome. Vet has said my big boy is around 15-20. I live in east Mesa. When will you be getting them?

Not quite sure yet hopefully soon

Status
Not open for further replies.