Probiotic

Hai

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson az
Anyone know of some probiotic that you can give to sulcatas? They been having loose stool lately. I'm not sure if it's due to weather or if something there eating. I always feed them the same things so I assume it's the weather.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Anyone know of some probiotic that you can give to sulcatas? They been having loose stool lately. I'm not sure if it's due to weather or if something there eating. I always feed them the same things so I assume it's the weather.
What do you feed your tortoise?

You don't need probiotics in any case.

Hai

Tucson az
What type of hay, and how often with the Mazuri?

Is the tortoise able to graze on anything else? Do any leaves drop into the enclosure? Weeds?
Bermuda and I think the other is alfalfa been a while since I got it. I give them the Mazuri everyday with the hay. I do have a section of some grazing seed mix I got from catalinasupply. One side of the yard has rose the other doesn't. So one could eat that but he usually stays away. Other then that the yard doesnt have any weeds or mushrooms. If I see anything I'll pick it since I don't know what it is. Only other thing I can think of is the water maybe, we do get alot of birds and they tend to drink out of one of the torts water

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Bermuda and I think the other is alfalfa been a while since I got it. I give them the Mazuri everyday with the hay. I do have a section of some grazing seed mix I got from catalinasupply. One side of the yard has rose the other doesn't. So one could eat that but he usually stays away. Other then that the yard doesnt have any weeds or mushrooms. If I see anything I'll pick it since I don't know what it is. Only other thing I can think of is the water maybe, we do get alot of birds and they tend to drink out of one of the torts water
Bird contaminated water is a possibility.

Bermuda hay is great as a main staple, but I wouldn't offer Mazuri every day. Once or twice a week is plenty. I'd look for more weeds, leaves, flowers, and spineless opuntia pads. Alfalfa hay is high in protein. If you feed that to your tortoise, be extra sure he is very well hydrated all of the time.

Hai

Tucson az
Bird contaminated water is a possibility.

Bermuda hay is great as a main staple, but I wouldn't offer Mazuri every day. Once or twice a week is plenty. I'd look for more weeds, leaves, flowers, and spineless opuntia pads. Alfalfa hay is high in protein. If you feed that to your tortoise, be extra sure he is very well hydrated all of the time.
How often can you give spineless cactus? I been giving nopales once in a while. There super cheap but I thought there like a treat

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How often can you give spineless cactus? I been giving nopales once in a while. There super cheap but I thought there like a treat
I feed it several times a week. I feed it to my leopard males almost daily all summer long. My sulcatas get some pads on top of their orchard grass hay a couple of times per week most of the year.

Hai

Tucson az
I feed it several times a week. I feed it to my leopard males almost daily all summer long. My sulcatas get some pads on top of their orchard grass hay a couple of times per week most of the year.
Oh, glad to know that. Is there a better hay I should be getting?