Prolapse in F tortoise

Keenie2017

Location (City and/or State)
California
This morning I found my tortoise like this. (See image). She hasn’t done this before. Her cloaca really looks like a female’s and her tail is short so I thought she is a she.

What is this? Is it normal? Why is she doing this? She retracted it after about a minute. Should I worry and take her to the vet?

6251F012-FF50-4C4A-AC7D-D729DCAA4BC4.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
IT'S A BOY!!! Break out the blue cigars...

Most tortoises look female-ish as youngsters. The secondary sexual characteristics that help us identify the males don't usually occur until they are closer to full maturity.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

What is an "F" tortoise?

Are you aware that most of the care info for DTs is wrong? They need hydration and an enclosure with moderate humidity and a humid hide, especially as babies.

Keenie2017

California
Oh okay! I thought I initially had a M tortoise but looking at all the images people would post in a forum I then though he was female.

F = female

Yea I just took him out and put him on a doggy pee pad and towels to get a picture. What’s the best substrate? I tried coco noir and cypress mulch together but then he got an upper respiratory infection.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh okay! I thought I initially had a M tortoise but looking at all the images people would post in a forum I then though he was female.

F = female

Yea I just took him out and put him on a doggy pee pad and towels to get a picture. What’s the best substrate? I tried coco noir and cypress mulch together but then he got an upper respiratory infection.
Here is the care info for them. Title says Russian tortoises, but care is identical. Read this one and then come back with any questions:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Only male tortoises have a penis. :) sorry I couldn't resist. Enjoy the forum, and feel free to ask questions.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That's a Tortoise Weiner, it's a boy!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You may occasionally see a prolapse in a female tortoise, but it never looks like your picture. It's usually a red ball-shaped protrusion. Your picture is definitely showing a penis.