Prolapse or Flashing?

Boo628

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi everyone I have a question regarding my DT. So this is the third time I saw this happen in the last 2 months. Just happened again today. Not sure if it's normal or not cuz everytime this happens he drags himself. Like he's walking on 2 front legs and he drags his back legs. Question is, is this a prolapse? Seems like he can't stand on all 4 when this happens.
Picture I posted is from online but that's what it look like. 20180630_130317.jpeg

Bambam1989

East Texas
The picture is of a penis.
If it's going back in then it should be fine. I don't know about the dragging the back legs part, he could just be being "intimate" with the ground.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Assuming it goes back in fully then it's just a hormonal flash.

If it doesn't then it's a prolapse and you need a vet experienced with torts

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Sounds like your tortoise is getting frisky with the ground.

As long as it goes back in its ok, let him have his fun....

Boo628

California
The picture is of a penis.
If it's going back in then it should be fine. I don't know about the dragging the back legs part, he could just be being "intimate" with the ground.
How long should it be out before it goes back in? Idk how long he have it out but when I see him he's dragging himself. His back legs are flat. And everytime that happen I go into survival mode and spray him then it slowly goes back in. Then he just go back to eating like nothing happened. The thing is when its out he look like he's in pain but after it goes back in he's back to normal that's why I'm kinda confused.

Boo628

California
Assuming it goes back in fully then it's just a hormonal flash.

If it doesn't then it's a prolapse and you need a vet experienced with torts
It goes back in when I spray him but idk how long its been out. I just get my water bottle and start spraying. Once it's in he's back to all 4's like normal

Boo628

California
You guys see how in that picture I got online his legs were like that. He's not standing. He's dragging himself

Boo628

California
Sounds like your tortoise is getting frisky with the ground.

As long as it goes back in its ok, let him have his fun....
Do they do that? I mean he look like he's in pain, doesn't look fun. So next time I should just let him be? About how long should it be out before I start spraying him?

Boo628

California
Another question, is that what a prolapse look like also? That picture came up when I put in tortoise prolapse. If so then how can I tell what is which? Thanks for all your responses

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Do they do that? I mean he look like he's in pain, doesn't look fun. So next time I should just let him be? About how long should it be out before I start spraying him?
I don't know for sure I'll let someone who does answer that, but if it's been going back in I would imagine its fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The thing is when its out he look like he's in pain but after it goes back in he's back to normal that's why I'm kinda confused.

Ummm…. How do I say this… That's not pain.

Ummm uhhhhhh, pain is not what he's experiencing when he's doing that.

Boo628

California
Maybe that's why he was looking at me like wth are you doing? Lol but seriously do they all do that? Walk with 2 front legs with back legs hanging. Next time ill take a picture or video n hold off on the spray bottle

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Maybe that's why he was looking at me like wth are you doing? Lol but seriously do they all do that? Walk with 2 front legs with back legs hanging. Next time ill take a picture or video n hold off on the spray bottle
Before we go on, how old are you? I'm guessing you've never had any male children, right?

You don't have to share your exact age, just tell us over or under 18.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi everyone I have a question regarding my DT. So this is the third time I saw this happen in the last 2 months. Just happened again today. Not sure if it's normal or not cuz everytime this happens he drags himself. Like he's walking on 2 front legs and he drags his back legs. Question is, is this a prolapse? Seems like he can't stand on all 4 when this happens.
Picture I posted is from online but that's what it look like. View attachment 243545

That is textbook beauty.....he is sharing his goods with all to see...or not, when in that position I bet he really is not too worried what you think....and the deadening of the legs...well, not too different than that of most male when in the moment :)

Boo628

California
That is textbook beauty.....he is sharing his goods with all to see...or not, when in that position I bet he really is not too worried what you think....and the deadening of the legs...well, not too different than that of most male when in the moment :)
Lol guess I'm new to this tortoise thing. Next time ill leave him alone

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Lol guess I'm new to this tortoise thing. Next time ill leave him alone

They do go through a very hormonal “teenage phase” when anything seems to arouse them.

To be honest, a healthy male will continue to want to hump anything vaguely tortoise shaped through most of its life... shoes, rocks, flower pots, shoes, bin bags, bricks, shoes, balls, shoes, drain covers ... did I mention shoes?

Once you own a male tort, you just have to get used to it [emoji849][emoji1]

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
To be honest, a healthy male will continue to want to hump anything vaguely tortoise shaped through most of its life... shoes, rocks, flower pots, shoes, bin bags, bricks, shoes, balls, shoes, drain covers ... did I mention shoes?
I've had Hermanns for many years but I've never seen a penis in real life - let alone such a behaviour. :eek: I also have quite a few aquaintances with male Hermanns, they were shocked when I showed them pictures. :D
Maybe Hermanns are less "hormonal" than some other species?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I've had Hermanns for many years but I've never seen a penis in real life - let alone such a behaviour. :eek: I also have quite a few aquaintances with male Hermanns, they were shocked when I showed them pictures. :D
Maybe Hermanns are less "hormonal" than some other species?

[emoji23]
Joe, a Greek, was very highly sexed. It would appear that DTs are likewise. :D