Prolapsed Penis

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
OK, I've been giving AB mineral oil enemas, got a little poop. Then yesterday I picked up a tortoise laxative. Gave it last night, orally, and this was on his food dish...big as heck, and hard as a rock
View attachment 298917

Yaaaahoooooo!!!!!!!
Poop defeated!
It’s funny you say that..
I was giving mine mineral oil orally for two days and just yesterday I got this!!!!!
Hard but a little smaller than yours..
She is like a new MAN!!!!
Back to her old self..
She is eating everything in site and walking all over the place!!
Peeing a lot too!!!!!????
NOW..... how to prevent this from happening again??? (She is a sulcata )
Is it the lighting or the food that I am doing wrong?????....?

643B3A24-3045-43DC-A12B-5E4A1DFA426B.jpeg9CC544D7-FA4C-429D-8624-CA1EB9CB4288.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, wasn't he an Australian Parakeet or something like that...he was big and loud and pooped on my tv screen as he would get really outa line when NASCAR was on....
Ringneck??

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
What, exactly, is a tortoise laxative and where do you get such a thing? Excellent job with the poop.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yaaaahoooooo!!!!!!!
Poop defeated!
It’s funny you say that..
I was giving mine mineral oil orally for two days and just yesterday I got this!!!!!
Hard but a little smaller than yours..
She is like a new MAN!!!!
Back to her old self..
She is eating everything in site and walking all over the place!!
Peeing a lot too!!!!!????
NOW..... how to prevent this from happening again??? (She is a sulcata )
Is it the lighting or the food that I am doing wrong?????....?

View attachment 298918View attachment 298919
It really can be bad to orally give a tortoise mineral oil. There's a chance they can aspirate the oil into their lungs, get pneumonia and die

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
I paid an exotic Vet $206 for the diagnosis
Lactulose syrup
Is it the 10 gm per 15 mL lactulose? You can get 473 mL for about 10 bucks using Goodrx.com. It’s interesting to know. I’m a physician and I prescribe lactulose all the time to people who have constipation and are elderly or to cirrhotics who need to get rid of toxins. If anybody has a tortoise that’s badly impacted they should get together with their physician if that’s the right concentration and get a script. It’s a nonabsorbed sugar. I’m going to get me some and put it in my tortoise first aid kit if that’s the strength. Thank you for sharing the information.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Is it the 10 gm per 15 mL lactulose? You can get 473 mL for about 10 bucks using Goodrx.com. It’s interesting to know. I’m a physician and I prescribe lactulose all the time to people who have constipation and are elderly or to cirrhotics who need to get rid of toxins. If anybody has a tortoise that’s badly impacted they should get together with their physician if that’s the right concentration and get a script. It’s a nonabsorbed sugar. I’m going to get me some and put it in my tortoise first aid kit if that’s the strength. Thank you for sharing the information.
I joined this group in 2008. Then there were some unwritten rules, and the name of a drug and the dosage was not printed then. Joe Blow might read the dosage and try to medicate their tortoises without any real knowledge of how to do it.
So unless things have changed over the years we try not to talk about prescriptions or the dosage.
But, I've never been one to follow the rules. I am torn about this medication. I was medically retired as an OTR truck driver in 2003. My sister had a turtle and tortoise rescue and I started to help her and I ended up operating a small special needs tortoise rescue. So I have no training, what I know I learned from my sister, my own personal experience, my own research. Anyhow, I wasn't clear, I paid $206. for the diagnosis, and $18 for the medication. I only got the med after the enemas didn't work. Also I want to reiterate, mineral oil enemas are one thing, giving mineral oil orally to a tortoise is bad. They can aspirate this product in their lungs, causing pneumonia or death. So I spent the next buncha years believing that and sticking to that principal. But, now my prolapsed penis and things have changed. I have been told just how to give mineral oil orally, and this stuff prescribed by the Vet is super thick, and I am giving a quantity using a syringe.
That in itself is amazing to me. My right hand is partially paralyzed, but here I got the tortoise upside down on my lap, holding his head out with 2 fingers on my left hand then using the syringe to pry open his mouth and slowly giving him this thick syrup with my right hand. Almost immediately it starts to bubble out his nares, oh crap, so do ya stop, or give it all? And do I keep giving it to him for the whole 10 daze? I don't think one large turd and 2 smaller turds is really enuf when the Vet had said he was full of poop.
And I will repeat, I sure am glad AB is not Sulcata!!!

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
It really can be bad to orally give a tortoise mineral oil. There's a chance they can aspirate the oil into their lungs, get pneumonia and die

that is what Yvonne (your sis) once said but she also said to put some on a lettuce leaf and roll into a cigar... but I don’t want the r to think I am putting words in her mouth ?????? Maybe it was someone else?
So ... if there is a next time... I have to.....?
Go .....?....up there?.....no ... I can’t...?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I joined this group in 2008. Then there were some unwritten rules, and the name of a drug and the dosage was not printed then. Joe Blow might read the dosage and try to medicate their tortoises without any real knowledge of how to do it.
So unless things have changed over the years we try not to talk about prescriptions or the dosage.
But, I've never been one to follow the rules. I am torn about this medication. I was medically retired as an OTR truck driver in 2003. My sister had a turtle and tortoise rescue and I started to help her and I ended up operating a small special needs tortoise rescue. So I have no training, what I know I learned from my sister, my own personal experience, my own research. Anyhow, I wasn't clear, I paid $206. for the diagnosis, and $18 for the medication. I only got the med after the enemas didn't work. Also I want to reiterate, mineral oil enemas are one thing, giving mineral oil orally to a tortoise is bad. They can aspirate this product in their lungs, causing pneumonia or death. So I spent the next buncha years believing that and sticking to that principal. But, now my prolapsed penis and things have changed. I have been told just how to give mineral oil orally, and this stuff prescribed by the Vet is super thick, and I am giving a quantity using a syringe.
That in itself is amazing to me. My right hand is partially paralyzed, but here I got the tortoise upside down on my lap, holding his head out with 2 fingers on my left hand then using the syringe to pry open his mouth and slowly giving him this thick syrup with my right hand. Almost immediately it starts to bubble out his nares, oh crap, so do ya stop, or give it all? And do I keep giving it to him for the whole 10 daze? I don't think one large turd and 2 smaller turds is really enuf when the Vet had said he was full of poop.
And I will repeat, I sure am glad AB is not Sulcata!!!

wow....just ....wow...?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I know ... I write without thinking of giving any explanations.... too fast ... my mind talks too fast and I can’t get it all down on the texts so I just brief everybody.. who would want to read all of my details? But you are right. I will start explaining instead of sounding like I throw my tortoise around and just stuff her with all kinds of crap..
I really do try to take the best of care of her!
I can’t see my life without her and I will do all I can to protect and help her if she needs it...thanks to all of you guys I read almost all of the posts especially if it involved a sulcata and try to remember and learn how to do things instead of running to the vet. Who just looks at her on the floor while he is standing straight up and says “yea, she looks ok?..”. You don’t want to get down there and look in her mouth, ears,eyes,shell..????!!!?!?!? HER BUTT!!???? Nothing.... says if she is walking around and eating she must be fine. That’s when I leave quietly as to not get thrown in jail.... and you said $206??
I walk in and because she’s exotic it’s $189!! That’s BEFORE I HIT AN EXAM ROOM or get a diagnosis!!!! Usually I come out and it’s around $3-400. And I am told to soak her and here is some Baytril .. stuff her with that and call in a week....

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Why Baytril? She have an infection? She is likely to stop eating as Baytril is really hard on them. Are you giving injections?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Why Baytril? She have an infection? She is likely to stop eating as Baytril is really hard on them. Are you giving injections?

no no I am just saying that’s what it is usually like if I go to a vet .... she is fine now.?
They almost always send me home with baytril. That must be their goto medicine for torts cuz they don’t have any other medicine knowledge for torts.
No infection. But she had the sniffles in the past... and me personally ?... no .. I couldn’t give an injection..her skin is too hard and I would probably faint if I had to jab it in there...
I know a lot about baytri now thanks to you guys. Yes she hates it and doesn’t eat because she used to think she was getting a pill on her food every time...who ever said torts are dumb is a knuckle head!!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I know ... I write without thinking of giving any explanations.... too fast ... my mind talks too fast and I can’t get it all down on the texts so I just brief everybody.. who would want to read all of my details? But you are right. I will start explaining instead of sounding like I throw my tortoise around and just stuff her with all kinds of crap..
I really do try to take the best of care of her!
I can’t see my life without her and I will do all I can to protect and help her if she needs it...thanks to all of you guys I read almost all of the posts especially if it involved a sulcata and try to remember and learn how to do things instead of running to the vet. Who just looks at her on the floor while he is standing straight up and says “yea, she looks ok?..”. You don’t want to get down there and look in her mouth, ears,eyes,shell..????!!!?!?!? HER BUTT!!???? Nothing.... says if she is walking around and eating she must be fine. That’s when I leave quietly as to not get thrown in jail.... and you said $206??
I walk in and because she’s exotic it’s $189!! That’s BEFORE I HIT AN EXAM ROOM or get a diagnosis!!!! Usually I come out and it’s around $3-400. And I am told to soak her and here is some Baytril .. stuff her with that and call in a week....
Guess I should stop complaining then, cuz I got an xray too.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Guess I should stop complaining then, cuz I got an xray too.
Hahaha!!! ??. Yep.. they gave me 4 of those last time too!! Showed no impact stones or poop!!???? And yet..... here I am with those pictures??? WTH?? Maggie help!!!?? How can she have a stone and it not come up on xrays?? ?