Proper hydration?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I saw, on another list, that these little white squigglies are an indication of good hydration. That if they are not there, the tort may be too dry.

I am inclined to NOT believe it, but maybe someone could verify or refute?20180820_175006.jpeg20180820_175109.jpeg20180820_175242.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We've talked about these "white squiggly lines" many times. They are usually more visible during or after a soak, and I suspect this is why someone said what they said, but no one knows what they are or what they do. I've seen them on dry raised tortoises, so I don't think they are a sign of good hydration.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
We've talked about these "white squiggly lines" many times. They are usually more visible during or after a soak, and I suspect this is why someone said what they said, but no one knows what they are or what they do. I've seen them on dry raised tortoises, so I don't think they are a sign of good hydration.
Thank you Tom! I took this picture while Chug was actually in the soak. If it was moisture, I wouldn't expect to see it in a pyramided scute. I would think we'd see it in a marginal, but the lines weren't visible in them.
Thanks for the info!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you Tom! I took this picture while Chug was actually in the soak. If it was moisture, I wouldn't expect to see it in a pyramided scute. I would think we'd see it in a marginal, but the lines weren't visible in them.
Thanks for the info!
I've seen those lines in pyramided scutes, top, bottom, and in marginals too.