Prospective new tortoise owner

redcheckerstack

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi everyone,

I am not a tortoise owner. My closest experience to keeping a tortoise was when my cousin and I found a three toed box turtle in our driveway when I was 14. We did not find the original owner, so I kept him for about 2 years, until I came home from a vacation and found out my grandpa had given the turtle away to a kid in our family who was visiting from Canada. Never saw or heard about the turtle or that part of the family again.

Outside of the box turtle I've kept hamsters, mice, mantids, snakes, fish, frogs, toads, crabs, eels, and shrimp. Currently I keep 4 birds, and am looking into other animals that do not require live food in their diet (though certain baby box turtles may sway me).

I am looking for a smaller species of tortoise (Greek, Hermann's, Indian Star, etc.) that is better suited to live indoors. It does not have to be a beginner species, I dedicate time to my animals, but I prefer one that is not excruciatingly difficult for someone new to tortoises (I have read that Egyptians can be problematic). As noted above, I am also open to a box turtle, I’m just tired of keeping the live food inside the house and maintaining extra “pets.”

My current setup is a 2.5x2.5, but by next summer I can build a 4x4 or 2x8 (which size is better and is that enough space for a full grown tortoise?).

Thanks for stopping by, and if you have any tips for a prospective new tortoise owner, they are appreciated.

-Matt

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hi Matt, Welcome! I have only had my sulcata for a year. So I really don't have advice for you. But hang in there you will get some replies from very knowledgeable members.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi Matt, I think that Greeks and Russians are definitely the ‘beginners’ tortoise and are much easier to care for than perhaps a star or leopard.
If your looking for an indoor set up you can rule out a sulcata. Also the sizes you mention would not be large enough for an adult tortoise of any species as a permanent home, you need to be looking for around 8ftx4ft

I’m sure others will be along shortly to advise.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome.
Research the species that best suits your situation. Be prepared to provide more room than you first anticipated and then have everything set up and ready BEFORE purchasing the animal.
Things will be much simpler for both you and your new pet.

daniellenc

Maryland
@ZEROPILOT is correct!! He and others helped me set up my cage prior to ordering my RF and it was so much easier!!!! Hermanns, greeks, and russians are all easy and smaller, but will need indoor and outdoor digs if possible and an 8x4 enclosure would be the smallest for an adult. When I was looking into species I considered adult size, enclosure size, dietary needs, and whether they naturally hibernate. For me I have a sizeable yard and wanted to be able to feed a variety of all foods and not worry about hibernation. I also have room in my house for a larger enclosure hence the red foot who can eat fruit, meat, and greens was my pick. Definitely think about what you want ahead of time and you'll be golden. And welcome!!

redcheckerstack

California
Thank you for the welcome and the advice. I'll start drawing up plans for a 6x6 and keep reading up on the smaller species.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California