Protein

LeeB60

Location (City and/or State)
Neola Ut
How much protein how many grams are too much for a Russian tortoise? I can only get him grocery store food so he's been eating collard greens mustard greens turnip greens Romaine green leaf lettuce red leaf lettuce but I'm I'm wondering if he's getting too much protein. Thank you

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think there is much protein in greens. Protein is usually considered a meat source. The kale you listed is the only one I know of with a higher protein and it has been suggested to be fed sparingly.
You also need to add endive, radicchio, escarole, bok choy, arugula. Many stores carry dandelion and cactus pads, ask if they don't.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How much protein how many grams are too much for a Russian tortoise? I can only get him grocery store food so he's been eating collard greens mustard greens turnip greens Romaine green leaf lettuce red leaf lettuce but I'm I'm wondering if he's getting too much protein. Thank you
Vegetable based protein isn't an issue as long as you are soaking regularly. Keep the tortoise well hydrated and the protein digestion by-products will pass harmlessly.

I would add cilantro and spineless opuntia to Barb's list.

If you are stuck using grocery store greens they must be amended to make them more suitable. You need to add fiber, variety and calcium to them. This is easily done by sprinkling some of the dried offerings from @Kapidolo Farms or the herbal hay from tortoise supply.com. I would also get some horse hay pellets to add fiber. You'd only need to soak a single pellet to add in enough fiber for a single Russian. A 50 pound bag costs about $20-30, and will last your single little guy a lifetime. Know any one with horses? A little baggie would last you for months. Maybe a local feed store can help you out with a small quantity. I like the orchard grass pellets, but Timothy would work for this application too. Alfalfa is too high in protein to use regularly, but once in a while would be great.

Grocery store greens alone are not a good tortoise diet.

LeeB60

Neola Ut
Vegetable based protein isn't an issue as long as you are soaking regularly. Keep the tortoise well hydrated and the protein digestion by-products will pass harmlessly.

I would add cilantro and spineless opuntia to Barb's list.

If you are stuck using grocery store greens they must be amended to make them more suitable. You need to add fiber, variety and calcium to them. This is easily done by sprinkling some of the dried offerings from @Kapidolo Farms or the herbal hay from tortoise supply.com. I would also get some horse hay pellets to add fiber. You'd only need to soak a single pellet to add in enough fiber for a single Russian. A 50 pound bag costs about $20-30, and will last your single little guy a lifetime. Know any one with horses? A little baggie would last you for months. Maybe a local feed store can help you out with a small quantity. I like the orchard grass pellets, but Timothy would work for this application too. Alfalfa is too high in protein to use regularly, but once in a while would be great.

Grocery store greens alone are not a good tortoise diet.
I crush some Mazuri and sprinkle it on his food and I do give him calcium. I'm trying to find seeds to grow him better food. I think I can grow it in my kitchen as I had a lot of sunlight that comes in. Thank you for your reply

Last edited by a moderator: