proud new forest hingeback owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerrod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
portland, or.
I was told to get a 160 watt mercury bulb for lighting so I spent 60 bucks on one and now all I'm reading is I need low lighting. This bulbs pretty bright so what should I do about that. Also hell only eat bananas. I just gave em some mushrooms a bit ag so ill see if hell eat those. Any other suggestions? Thanx guy
s

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
If possible, I'd return the bulb and get a ceramic heat emitter. If you can't return it, you should be able to sell it on the forum here.
Once you lower the light levels I think you'll see more activity. You can mush up the banana and mix that on other fruits and vegetables. Have you tried any live food?

Danny

gerrod

5 Year Member
portland, or.
Nothing live yet. I have a ceramic heater as well but if I change the light what do I get? Any thing? Is the light in the room enuf? I was told he needs that light to produce proper vitamins.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Ambient light is enough. They get D3 from animal portion of diet and mushrooms. The habitat for them is dense rainforest. They do venture into more open areas in morning and evening when light levels are low. A calcium source such as cuttlebone or pure calcium is a good idea.

gerrod

5 Year Member
portland, or.
Itort said:
Ambient light is enough. They get D3 from animal portion of diet and mushrooms. The habitat for them is dense rainforest. They do venture into more open areas in morning and evening when light levels are low. A calcium source such as cuttlebone or pure calcium is a good idea.

Thanx a lot. Would a dimmer low wattage reptile light do? Dang I wish I wasn't steered in the wrong direction cause I wasted 60 bucks I guess. Also as far as humidity, he has a water tray w about 2 in of fresh water daily big enuf to fit about 4 of him in and I spray his cage usually a few times a day w warm water. Does this sound about right?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I don't use any lights on my Homes at all, just the light in the room. I do use a CHE for warmth in winter. The humidity sounds good (I like it to smell like a forest in the morning).

gerrod

5 Year Member
portland, or.
Thanx again. The room he's in is prob just about room temp so I've had the CHE on because from what I gather he needs temps around 80 give or take, is that right? I'm also in portland or where unfortunately summer hasn't started yet so it still gets kinda chilly in here at night. Any other advice about anything is much appreciated as this is my first hingeback tortoise. Thanx again, I'm already glad I found and joined this forum today.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Be sure to checkout African forum subforum Hingebacks. There is alot of good info there.

S

Scooter

When I got my first one all she would eat was bananas also. I found the easiest way to feed her was to get banana baby food and lightly coat all her other food in that. Then I started getting the baby food with banana and other fruits so the banana portion was smaller. Then I slowly started to reduce the amount I put on the food. It took almost a year but she will finely eat a wide variety of food and doesn't need the banana.

Status
Not open for further replies.