Pseudomonas!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
So I just got off the phone with the vet. She said the culture came back saying Gunther has pseudomonas. She said to treat it he will need injections for 14 days. What is your thought on this and what do you know about this infection? You can read more about him under my thread "HELP! I think he is sick!". Should i do what the vet says? Any input would help. Any expierences with this...
20121116_141139-1.jpg
20121119_180602-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
If the culture came back positive for psuedomonas, antibiotics are the only thing to clear that. What injections did the vet recommend to use?

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
tortadise said:
If the culture came back positive for psuedomonas, antibiotics are the only thing to clear that. What injections did the vet recommend to use?

I dont remember. She said she would call me when she had it ready.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
In human health pseudomonas is often a hospital acquired infection. It definitely requires antibiotics.
Thats all I know.

If this is a vet known to treat tortoises I would personally go with it, especially being the result of a culture and not a guess.

Good luck[/align]

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
kathyth said:
In human health pseudomonas is often a hospital acquired infection. It definitely requires antibiotics.
Thats all I know.

If this is a vet known to treat tortoises I would personally go with it, especially being the result of a culture and not a guess.

Good luck[/align]

Ok. Thanks. I just know a lot of ppl have said dont do shots. So i was skeptical.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Laura said:
Dont do Vitamin A injections.. Antibiotics are different... can be hard to do, but you can learn..

Ok. Thanks. Yeah, i already told my boyfriend he going to have to do the shots. I dont think i will be able to do it.
[/b]

Katherine

5 Year Member
Pseudomonas is a genus of bacteria found all over the place and usually only causes a health issue in immunodeficient animals/people. The reason it's commonly associated with being hospital acquired is because it is opportunistic and will use a catheter or broken skin as point of entry or colonize in/on people who were already ill. I would forge forward with the antibiotics recommended by your vet to clear the bacteria infection but it might be worth doing a general husbandry assessment just to make sure the tortoise wasn't susceptible to this infection as a result of something else. Stinks to have sick tortoise but always a relief to know it is something curable. Goodluck!!!

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Katherine said:
Pseudomonas is a genus of bacteria found all over the place and usually only causes a health issue in immunodeficient animals/people. The reason it's commonly associated with being hospital acquired is because it is opportunistic and will use a catheter or broken skin as point of entry or colonize in/on people who were already ill. I would forge forward with the antibiotics recommended by your vet to clear the bacteria infection but it might be worth doing a general husbandry assessment just to make sure the tortoise wasn't susceptible to this infection as a result of something else. Stinks to have sick tortoise but always a relief to know it is something curable. Goodluck!!!

Thanks for the info. I havent had him that long. Vet seems to think he contracted it during or before shipping. Tank is fine so im not sure. They both came together and were living together before. But Gunther has been in a 20gal by himself for two weeks now. He is already doing a lot better. We have been force feeding for a week now. As well as eye and nose wash and drops. You can actually see his nostrils now! And i have never been so excited to see a tortoise poop. But tonight during his soak he pooped! For the first time this week! Yay!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I have had a tortoise with pseudomonas before. By the time I took him to the vet, he had already done a round of Baytril and that didn't help at all. Once the culture confirmed he had psuedomonas, I believe the vet prescribed ciproflaxicin, which I gave to him orally. It cleared up right away and he is still grazing my yard today. I'm sure he will do fine. Let us know how he's doing!

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
kimber_lee_314 said:
I have had a tortoise with pseudomonas before. By the time I took him to the vet, he had already done a round of Baytril and that didn't help at all. Once the culture confirmed he had psuedomonas, I believe the vet prescribed ciproflaxicin, which I gave to him orally. It cleared up right away and he is still grazing my yard today. I'm sure he will do fine. Let us know how he's doing!

Really?! Thanks!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
kimber_lee_314 said:

Bingo. Great reaponse. Baytril will not aid this infection as well. Use ciproflaxicin, you will get best results.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Just a question. We still have not started Gunther on his antibiotics. Because the vet has not called to say they were ready yet.. However, Gunther DID start eating today! Does that mean he is fighting this on his own? Should i still do the meds? He is also opening his eye on his own and you can hear him breathing with a someone bubbly sound in his nose.. Before you couldn't hear anything, it was so swollen and you couldn't see his nostrils.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
What antibiotics did the vet prescribe? The fact that he is still eating is good. It means he's not as sick as he could be. I would still treat him for the pseudomonas.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
kimber_lee_314 said:
What antibiotics did the vet prescribe? The fact that he is still eating is good. It means he's not as sick as he could be. I would still treat him for the pseudomonas.

Well, he didnt eat for two weeks! We were force feeding him with a syringe.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Glad to hear from your other thread and this one that he seems to be doing better. At least now you most likely know what you're dealing with.

What exactly is this condition? Just a type of bacterial infection? Is it fairly common in torts?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
kimber_lee_314 said:

* Same experience!

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Cipro for torts? Hahaha wow, cipro is some serious stuff! If you do get it, follow instructions TO THE LETTER, as it is a VERY potent antibiotic. It'll fix your tort right up!

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Talka said:
Cipro for torts? Hahaha wow, cipro is some serious stuff! If you do get it, follow instructions TO THE LETTER, as it is a VERY potent antibiotic. It'll fix your tort right up!

I havent yet. Im still debating... He is doing so much better without it.... I hate to drug him if not needed!

20121124_100919-1.jpg He is looking so good today!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.