pseudomonas help

Status
Not open for further replies.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
I've been having an ongoing problem with my female leopard. Upper respiratory infection. At first responded to baytril, 3 months later reoccured. Tried baytril again. No improvement. I tried tylosin - no help. Went to vet- xrays and lab work indicated pseudomonas. Injections of timentin ineffective. I asked her if we could try Fortaz, she just told me she would have to buy a larger quantity, and it would cost around $300 for it. Any thoughts or suggestions? Any experience in this?

She said she'd have to buy 10 vials at a time. Does anyone have a source that will sell individually? Thanks...

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
did you have your leo in a separate tank while it was being treated?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I got this off a human site:

Because psedudomonas is commonly resistant to antibiotics, infections are usually treated with two antibiotics at once. Pseudomonas infections may be treated with combinations of ceftazidime (Ceftaz, Fortraz, Tazicef), ciprofloxacin (Cipro), imipenem (Primaxin), gentamicin (Garamycin), tobramycin (Nebcin), ticarcillin-clavulanate (Timentin), or piperacillin-tazobactam (Zosyn). Most antibiotics are administered intravenously or orally for two to six weeks

Cipro is pretty strong. I'll bet the combination of Cipro and ceftazidime would do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.