Puffy eyes on sulcata

BornInTheBoot

Location (City and/or State)
DeRidder, La
Hey so I'm planning on Getting a male sulcata. I know you can't tell this early but I'm pretty sure it's a male from the length of the tail. My question is if the eyes on this hatchling are too puffy? It's in a store and it's kept pretty dry. I just want to know if it's eyes aren't too bad for me to get it and take it home with a quick remedy. Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's probably because they're keeping him so dry.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is it bad though? Or is it pretty easy to remedy at the stage it's at now
We would only be guessing. No way to know. Doesn't look too bad to me, and I'm not sure the eyes are puffy. Looks like it might have shed some scales around the eyes? The eyes look bad in the last pic.

Is this baby being housed under a cfl UV bulb.

Also, you can't tell the sex at that age. Tail length in one that size is meaningless.

Why not just buy a baby from a breeder that was started right? There are several of us here on the forum and we sell them cheaper than a pet store anyway?

BornInTheBoot

DeRidder, La
Well I was thinking about the sex thing bc this 2 inch hatchlings tail is longer than my 5 inch sulcatas tail so it made me think male. But thank you for correcting me. And I don't want to buy from online bc I really want a guaranteed male. So I might just buy a well started male. And about the setup I do not know. I was just wondering about how bad he/she looked. Thank you

BornInTheBoot

DeRidder, La
We would only be guessing. No way to know. Doesn't look too bad to me, and I'm not sure the eyes are puffy. Looks like it might have shed some scales around the eyes? The eyes look bad in the last pic.

Also, you can't tell the sex at that age. Tail length in one that size is meaningless.

Why not just buy a baby from a breeder that was started right? There are several of us here on the forum and we sell them cheaper than a pet store anyway?
Sorry i forgot to tag you on my reply

BornInTheBoot

DeRidder, La

And also this is my 5 inch sulcatas tail. It's very very small. Does that mean female?20180129_213827.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You usually can't be sure of the sex of a sulcata until they reach about 14". Sometimes there are signs earlier, but I've been folded enough times to know these things. They all tend to look female-ish as juveniles. The only way to really be sure earlier is if a precocious male gets an erection and everts his penis. If this doesn't happen, it is either a female, or a male who didn't evert.