Pumpkin ???

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
So will any old carving pumpkin work to feed or do I need to make sure it's one of the editable ones you make a pie out of?? Do you have to take the seeds out? I know my RF are tiny so I'll just cut a few small pieces for them but Hal is 150lbs and he'd eat a whole dang pumpkin. Has anyone fed anything other than the orange ones?

Mmmmm pumpkin! I used to hate pumpkin pie and anything pumpkin flavored but now I love it.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
My reds are small so they won't get any seeds and I'll cut there's up into small pieces. Hal is big so I was just going to cut his into quarters and toss all4 pieces in there.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I buy the pie kind and save the seeds for my hamster or to plant, I feed the pumpkin mush to the torts and then bake the pumpkin and make homemade pumpkin pie for me Lol. :D

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes pumpkin is ok for the leopards also. I blend the pumpkin up for the little ones . For Harry I cut it up in bite size pieces because he is lazy . He will try and munch down big pieces then give up . But if I cut it for him he will eat a whole pumpkin .

phebe121

I cant wait to see if mine like it Can i also give them to my quail .

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I feed the whole thing to my tortoises, but for the small ones I blend it up first that way even they can get all the possible benefits from it. I also will freeze chunks of it for later usage. I use only the carving type of pumpkin. Some of those other "pumpkins" are really squashes, as I recall. ;)