Pumpkin?

sulcalcifer

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Is it alright to feed my sulcata a little bit of pumpkin? It seems like it would be a nice treat, but I just want to make sure it's not harmful in anyway.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I asked this a few weeks ago. Apparently, most feel it is ok to feed sparingly. There is, however, some debate on pureed or fresh with fresh being the one most suggest. Rind included.

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
Yes. I take fresh pumpkin, seeds and all and put it in a food processor so it is in little bit size morsels. My sulcata LOVES it.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
I gave my torts some pumpkins and they LOVED it.... I don't know how big your sulcata is but I know I have had some ppl tell me that do have sulcata's have given the tort the pumpkin and let them be. I would cute that huge stem because I don't know if that is ok for them or not. But I think your ok to give your tort pumpkins :)

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
I feed my leopard and sully fresh pureed pumpkin as a treat. I take chunks of pumpkin and put it in the blender. The love it!

This picture was chunky pumpkin. I was cooking it a little before I read about not cooking.

sulcalcifer

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Wisconsin
Awesome, thanks everyone! He is 2-years-old so I'll try cutting it into small chunks.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
sulcalcifer said:
Awesome, thanks everyone! He is 2-years-old so I'll try cutting it into small chunks.

Oh yeah he is still a baby then. Cute it up for him. He will LOVE it. Take some photos when he is eating the pumpkin I LOVE to see the dirty faces :p

mhcl2241

5 Year Member
Im so glad this thread was here! We are going to carve pumpkins and I was really thinking my sulcata would enjoy all that goo!!! :) BTW THe pumpkin can also be stored in the freeze for furture feedings!!! :) B\

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Smaller sulcatas can choke on chunks. I grate it on a cheese grater for small tortoises and mix it in with other greens or grass. I feed whole pumpkins to adult sulcatas.

julietteq

5 Year Member
Amsterdam. Netherlands
My 2 leos LOVE pumpkin. I wanted to to add more hay to their diet, so I got the zoomed tortoise food for grazers. They ignored it completely at first. Then I mixed in some pumkin and they devouered it. I reduced the pumpkin a little bit day by day and now they eat the zoomed without the pumpin as well.