PuppyTort!

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston / Webster, TX
Just want to share how things are with my tort (Darwin the 14 pound Sulcata) and I. She is a puppy dog! She is a puppy dog! She is a puppy dog! Haha! She follows me every step I take. She comes to me when I motion for her. I used to be afraid she would bite me but I no longer worry about that. She rubs her head all over my hands and feet. She allows me to rub her head and neck. If I'm standing, she tries to climb up my leg! If I'm sitting down she will crawl into my lap and snuggle Haha! Like snuggling a cactus made of bricks! lol I just NEVER knew the bond between a tort and a human could be like this! Just wondering if any of your sulcatas act in such a manner????

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
How special is that? You definitly have a special bond. We would love to see you two interact. You must spend a lot of time together.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is one reason why so many people like sulcatas. I've seen CDTs behave this way, and SA leopards too. But this is pretty normal for a sulcata. You normally start to see this around year 3 and its more common in males, but many females are this way too.

I not trying to steal your thunder here. I'm more trying to agree with you about how cool this is and elaborate on why sulcatas just might be the best species there is.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
w
This is one reason why so many people like sulcatas. I've seen CDTs behave this way, and SA leopards too. But this is pretty normal for a sulcata. You normally start to see this around year 3 and its more common in males, but many females are this way too.

I not trying to steal your thunder here. I'm more trying to agree with you about how cool this is and elaborate on why sulcatas just might be the best species there is.
why does my sulcata not love me:(?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
w

why does my sulcata not love me:(?

Age? Male or female? Do you hand feed? Does it have a yard full of weeds and grass?

Mine ignore me in winter when the weeds are up, like now, but come running any time they see me in summer when there is nothing to eat but what I give them.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It is great that you have a nice interaction with your tortoise. However I'm not sure this is going to be so cute adorable and fun when she is 100+ pounds. I hate to be a wet blanket but this could turn into a safety issue especially if she tries this with kids. Is there a way to teach a tortoise to respect your space, kind of like what you do with dogs or horses? Maybe @Tom would have input on that. are there other members out there with very large tortoises that do this? How do you keep yourself safe without affecting the bond you have with your tortoise?

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Age? Male or female? Do you hand feed? Does it have a yard full of weeds and grass?

Mine ignore me in winter when the weeds are up, like now, but come running any time they see me in summer when there is nothing to eat but what I give them.
think its a he, 3 years old. i give him his food on a rock. he is inside right now until his greenhouse is complete. he gets lots of grass and weeds, i don't feed him store greens.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
think its a he, 3 years old. i give him his food on a rock. he is inside right now until his greenhouse is complete. he gets lots of grass and weeds, i don't feed him store greens.

Start hand feeding him colorful treats like dandelions or gazanias and give him a little more time. During the third year is when many of them "come out of their shell", so to speak, but some take until 5 or 6 years. Some females never get all that "friendly". Most males do, but not all.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX

No thunder stolen. lol But this is way cool and more then I ever expected from her. I never thought she would come around but she actually acts like she "LIKES" me? Sounds about right cause she is around 3 years old now!

Gennifer11

My little sully is still a hatchling. He will follow me and hide between my feet and if he's on the couch he will climb up my clothes and sit on my shoulder. He still has grumpy days where if I try to pet him he will jerk away and walk back to his pen. Just like a child.

MagicGus

it must be so fun to have a tort like that! i have a russian, but we still have our little bond!:tort:

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My big male redfoot is affectionately nicknamed "Shell Puppy" because he acts similarly. He seeks us out when he is outside and wants to be with people constantly.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Now you realize why people love these animals so much.