Purposefully swerves to hit box turtle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville,FL
Earlier today country music singer Blake Shelton tweeted this....
"Does anyone know if the Eastern Box turtle is protected in Oklahoma? If so I didn't just swerve to the shoulder of the road to smash one..."

People asked him if it was a bad joke, he responded with rude comments about them getting laid and needing to meet people.

I looked through the comments by his fans, this just made them like him more! Many said "oh its just a turtle get over it". I don't understand how people think this is funny.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't like country music or singers. Well only a few old ones that are mostly all dead. So thought he was an idiot, now no I was right. I hope they were pretected and someone turns him in. No difference in my opinion then if he purposely hit a dog, which the idiot probably would do.

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Jacksonville,FL
When people respectfully asked him about it he just came back with rude remarks, never denying it. To my knowledge it is a protected species where this happened.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
********. Sorry, don't know if I'm allowed to say that on the forum, but... GRR. I think purposefully hitting ANYTHING, be it a squirrel or the last member of it's species of owl or something should be illegal.

Humans sure aren't an endangered species, we aren't hurting for any more of us. Maybe it should be okay for us to swerve into them, too? GRR.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
blakeshelton.jpg

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I believe what he was saying is he swerved to miss it but accidentaly hit it. And yes, country music died in the very early 90's.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
He's saying that he swerved to hit it. He's being sarcastic because the species of turtle he hit is probably protected in his area.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
I like Willie Nelson, Kenny Rogers, and Charlie Daniels.

Not even sure what those would be classified, but that's about it.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I didn't take it like that. But if he did, he's an idiot, and will hear it from people like you (us) guys.

Buck Owens, Conway Twitty, and Highway 101.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Did he say later in another tweet (I hate that word) that he was being sarcastic (hard to detect online without my patented sarcasm detector) or that he swerved to hit it, because it sounds like he said he did not swerve to hit it. meaning he hit it but by accident.

nylesmommy

5 Year Member
north carolina
Says he swerved to shoulder to smash it .....not accident :( people like this make me sick! Ive seen so many hit this year really sad i stop for all turtles and help them cross. A month or so ago there was a crazy wreck on my street on straignt road when we got closer to home we saw a res that had just been hit :( karma? I got her help but she didnt make it .

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Jacksonville,FL
I went through his other comments to find more info and when people would ask if it was a joke, he just made rude comments about them, never denying he hit it.

Not all country people are like this, it is a few famous ones that do stupid stuff that give the rest a bad name. .

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
CJSTorts said:
Earlier today country music singer Blake Shelton tweeted this....
"Does anyone know if the Eastern Box turtle is protected in Oklahoma? If so I didn't just swerve to the shoulder of the road to smash one..."

People asked him if it was a bad joke, he responded with rude comments about them needing to meet people.

I looked through the comments by his fans, this just made them like him more! Many said "oh its just a turtle get over it". I don't understand how people think this is funny.

Some of his fans are no better - "Just a turtle?" - what is wrong with people! This really pisses me off! Are country singers protected in Oklahoma? If so, I'm not gonna swerve to the shoulder of the road to smash this one -

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Wow, I had no idea Blake Shelton was such a jerk. Here's what I "tweeted" back to him:

"@blakeshelton Running over animals by the side of the road, eh? Congratulations, you've just made yourself look like an animal-hating loser."

You'd think a guy with a name like "Shelton" would have respect for animals with a carapace. Twit.

TheValve

5 Year Member
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Wow, I had no idea Blake Shelton was such a jerk. Here's what I "tweeted" back to him:

"@blakeshelton Running over animals by the side of the road, eh? Congratulations, you've just made yourself look like an animal-hating loser."

You'd think a guy with a name like "Shelton" would have respect for animals with a carapace. Twit.

Well said, why anyone would find wanton destruction of an innocent creature is totally beyond me. Just thinking about this happening to turtles makes me shudder!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
TheValve said:
Well said, why anyone would find wanton destruction of an innocent creature is totally beyond me. Just thinking about this happening to turtles makes me shudder!

I remember actually seeing someone years ago intentionally swerve to hit a turtle. This was in Florida, and there was a beautiful red-bellied cooter trying to cross the road. The guy driving diagonally ahead of me actually swerved so that he would run over it. The turtle's shell split in two, and the pieces went flying into the air. It was horrifying and very sad. I realize that, unfortunately, sometimes roadkill is inevitable, but it looked like this guy went out of his way to run over an animal. Just awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.