Box Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

russianhenry

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I am house sitting for some people and they have a box turtle. They told me to feed him cheese and dog food... I don't have a box turtle, I have a Russian though and I'm pretty sure this is not good for him. Can I feed him basically the same thing I feed my Russian ?

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Cheese and dog food? Absolutely not. You should talk to them and say that is not acceptable.

They enjoy veggies! Romanie lettuce, kail, etc. They also enjoy small insects, such as crickets. Check their fridge for veggies, perhaps?

They love salad based dishes, chopped veggies, with a few insects with it or earthworm even.

Dog food and cheese is just not good. Tell them that they can even cheaper feed him with just veggies they may normally have in the house, and that buying crickets/earthworms is not expensive.

How's the little guys setup?

But yeah, good call on that, man. I imagine their diet is pretty similar to your Russian's, with the exception of the insects.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
where do they keep him and can he escape?..if so i would say he escaped and take him home to give him a better life...some ppl are soo STUPID!!!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would say no to the cheese, dog food is fine the leaner he better. You can feed him the same stuff as a russian, but the box turtle may not eat it, they like meat.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Veggies, (cooked sweet potato, carrots) greens (dandelion, plantain, escarole et.), fruit, (melon, berries, no citrus) chopped up very small, add a little bit of the dog food. Worms, crickets, slugs, and any kind of bugs. Some cooked fish, soaked mazuri, soaked turtle brittle, but NO cheese.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Cheese really? Wtf? (sorry but this seams to call for it). Most animals including most humans can't eat cheese what in the world would give them the idea that a turtle can eat cheese.

russianhenry

5 Year Member
Texas
Ya, I think I'm going to try and adopt him. I will talk to them about it. While I'm house sitting I will just let him share with my Russian, Lola. They keep him in a large aquarium outside, out of the sun. So I can feed him worms? Like from the pets store? I'm going to give them a list of food including the food I give Lola.

They grow their own carrots , squash, and Swiss chard(pretty sure that is spelled wrong). Will he eat any of that?

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
An aquarium is not good for a Box Turtle, generally speaking, unless it's been modified.

Yes, worms are good. They love them. As for the veggies, yes!

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
carrots are good (peel them with a potato peeler) squash is good too! Turtles lack the ability to digest any dairy... :( i PRAY you can adopt him :(

Status
Not open for further replies.