PVC Heat Source Options

MesoTank

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Freedom Pennsylvania
Hello! I am upgrading my Greek’s indoor habitat to an 8x2x2 PVC enclosure. The PVC enclosure is closed chamber style with the hard top, I found a good deal on FB marketplace for a couple hundred bucks. Anyway, I am going to mount the T5 HO UVB with reflector hood inside the enclosure, however I’m not sure what to do for heat… what are my best options for PVC style enclosures? For reference, image of enclosure attached (it’s two halves that combine into a whole 8 feet)

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3844.jpeg
    IMG_3844.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 2

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Radiant heat panels. @Kapidolo Farms usually has them for sale. And if a RHP doesn't get it warm enough I have used 25 watt CHE at the opposite end.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I use radian heat panels in most of mine I sell. Depending upon how cool it gets in the room in which the enclosure is kept, they work best. You will probably want at least an 80 watt panel in each side. This works great if the room is an indoor room and doesn't get much below 65°. However, the enclosures I put them in are double walled with double pane doors to hold heat much better - so you will need to experiment a bit. I mount them directly to the ceiling of the enclosure and it makes a nice, clean out-of-the way install. For less money you can go with 100 watt CHEs in domes hung from the enclosure ceiling as well.

MesoTank

5 Year Member
New Freedom Pennsylvania
I use radian heat panels in most of mine I sell. Depending upon how cool it gets in the room in which the enclosure is kept, they work best. You will probably want at least an 80 watt panel in each side. This works great if the room is an indoor room and doesn't get much below 65°. However, the enclosures I put them in are double walled with double pane doors to hold heat much better - so you will need to experiment a bit. I mount them directly to the ceiling of the enclosure and it makes a nice, clean out-of-the way install. For less money you can go with 100 watt CHEs in domes hung from the enclosure ceiling as well.
What’s the best way to hang CHE’s? I was thinking hanging the domes on cup hooks screwing them through the top… just not sure if the heat will sufficiently get to the ground level. They are only 2 feet high so I may be overthinking it but.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
What’s the best way to hang CHE’s? I was thinking hanging the domes on cup hooks screwing them through the top… just not sure if the heat will sufficiently get to the ground level. They are only 2 feet high so I may be overthinking it but.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is how I do it.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Yes. Cup hooks screwed into the ceiling and hang a dome. I don't like using the bracket Jaizei linked. A dome helps direct the heat downward and prevents the heat from also going towards the PVC.

MesoTank

5 Year Member
New Freedom Pennsylvania
Yes. Cup hooks screwed into the ceiling and hang a dome. I don't like using the bracket Jaizei linked. A dome helps direct the heat downward and prevents the heat from also going towards the PVC.
Thanks! Appreciate you guys for always being so quick and knowledgeable!