Does not appear to be, at this time.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
No, but it looks like he/she could benefit from more time outside.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
No pyramiding.

Is it possible for this guy to live outside? Maybe only come inside on nights or cold days? They sure do love living outside :D
Just something to think about...

Sent from my TFOapp

skmackley2

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
No pyramiding.

Is it possible for this guy to live outside? Maybe only come inside on nights or cold days? They sure do love living outside :D
Just something to think about...

Sent from my TFOapp

No he's only under 1 year old and he's tiny and wouldn't bare it, and it's cold here! Plus it's wales and it rains all the time which is cold rain, and everyday and every night is quite cold,

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Wales is fine. Horsfields-quite bizzarely if I say so myself- seem to thrive anywhere in the UK outside more than in the states-from what I've heard you guys struggle to get them to breed??? We have way too many, they have to be rehomed so often. Some of the breeders here have them out 24/7 with no heat from April to October from 3 months old.

bextort

5 Year Member
I get your concerns about living outside, I'm from the UK (Manchester) and although I take my Russian outside everyday, I'm not quite sure she would benefit from living outside due to temperamental weather :)

skmackley2

5 Year Member
FLINTUS said:
Wales is fine. Horsfields-quite bizzarely if I say so myself- seem to thrive anywhere in the UK outside more than in the states-from what I've heard you guys struggle to get them to breed??? We have way too many, they have to be rehomed so often. Some of the breeders here have them out 24/7 with no heat from April to October from 3 months old.

No it's not actually, do you live in Wales your whole life no, it rains loads and hardly any warmth, so don't say you know it all about climate changes, and they breed fine??

bextort said:
I get your concerns about living outside, I'm from the UK (Manchester) and although I take my Russian outside everyday, I'm not quite sure she would benefit from living outside due to temperamental weather :)

Yeah I agree with you the mine would benefit from outside but not benefit from the non stop climate change from rain to sun to snow to rain :L

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Who told you that your Russian is 1 year old? Do you have a hatch date?

Just curious, from the looks of the picture it sure looks a lot bigger than a yearling. Looks more like a +4" sub adult to me. But hey, pics can be deceiving.

Leroy's_homeboy

5 Year Member
SE Wisconsin
Re: RE: Pyramid Shell on tortoise

Tom said:

Just curious, is it the color of the shell that indicates whether a tortoise gets enough time outside?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TortForum mobile app

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
skmackley2 said:
FLINTUS said:

No it's not actually, do you live in Wales your whole life no, it rains loads and hardly any warmth, so don't say you know it all about climate changes, and they breed fine??

bextort said:

Yeah I agree with you the mine would benefit from outside but not benefit from the non stop climate change from rain to sun to snow to rain :L

I am not Wales, I am Wilts. But a lot of keepers even up north in places like Yorkshire, keep them out 24/7 in summer, and late spring and early Autumn from 3 months with great success. I don't completely get your reference to climate change, sure the Gulf Stream is shifting and we do have inconsistent weather here, but keeping them outside in the UK has PROVED to work very well indeed. Horsfields in particular are NOT inside tortoises. The breeding was the reference to something else to do with the climate, directed towards the US keepers.

skmackley2

5 Year Member
Okay, but Wales and Yorkshire are completely different, Yorkshire is flat mostly except from the moor hills but here in Wales it's hills everywhere you see and it does get cold, in my house it gets 15'C at night and outside it'll probably be maybe 5'C

conzo

5 Year Member
Wales, UK
I also live in Wales and own a horsefield tortoise, I'm just curious because my tortoise is outside early summer to autumn, his outdoor enclosure has an area to protect from the rain etc but could the damp grass and soil with cold temperatures cause health problems and/or shell rot?

skmackley2

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
Who told you that your Russian is 1 year old? Do you have a hatch date?

Just curious, from the looks of the picture it sure looks a lot bigger than a yearling. Looks more like a +4" sub adult to me. But hey, pics can be deceiving.

Hi there, yeah where I get him from they said he was just over 1 year old? He is 2"high and 3.5" carapace. :)

Leroy said:
Tom said:

Just curious, is it the color of the shell that indicates whether a tortoise gets enough time outside?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TortForum mobile app

I agree there

conzo

5 Year Member
Wales, UK
Regarding the shell colour, when I first received my tortoise a few years ago, his shell was ALOT darker than now, with UVB lighting etc., his shell is quite a light brown/green now.

skmackley2

5 Year Member
conzo said:
Regarding the shell colour, when I first received my tortoise a few years ago, his shell was ALOT darker than now, with UVB lighting etc., his shell is quite a light brown/green now.

Oh for goodness sake Connor :L so it isn't about colour

conzo

5 Year Member
Wales, UK
Though he was getting a lot more exercise as well as lighting.

skmackley2

5 Year Member
I let Sheldon out for ages everyday except for when I'm not at home

conzo

5 Year Member
Wales, UK
You will probably see a difference in his shell colour as he grows, my torts shell colour changed fast! He probably did not get a lot of exercise when he was at the pet store.

Status
Not open for further replies.