Pyramid

awioa

Location (City and/or State)
New Mexico
I was just curious, after seeing some of the post with Sulcata with some bad pyramid-ing, if it can be corrected or will they have it the rest of their lives. It is not the actual bone that is in the pyramid, it is the scales right?

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
From what I have read here pyramided growth is permanent. If properly hydrated and kept in humid conditions I have read that new growth will be more normal, lessening the pyramided appearance.

I don't know the answer to the second question.

Disclaimer: Newb that likes to read here. :):<3::tort:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was just curious, after seeing some of the post with Sulcata with some bad pyramid-ing, if it can be corrected or will they have it the rest of their lives. It is not the actual bone that is in the pyramid, it is the scales right?
What is done is done. Pyramiding cannot be undone, but in the right conditions, the new growth can start to come in at a better angle. So you can't "fix" what is already there, but you can make the new growth much better over time.

Yes, the bone is actually porous and malformed in the same shape as the pyramided scute.

awioa

New Mexico
What is done is done. Pyramiding cannot be undone, but in the right conditions, the new growth can start to come in at a better angle. So you can't "fix" what is already there, but you can make the new growth much better over time.

Yes, the bone is actually porous and malformed in the same shape as the pyramided scute.
Thanks for the info.