Pyramidding?

Xavier

It is pyramidding but the side has a slight bulge thing. I usually go out and pick grasses and weeds but as winter has decided to show up early everything is dormit. I live in Kansas and any nursery around doesn't sell grasses this time of year. So I have had to stick to leafy greens and other produce. He is a Leopard Tortoise and he lives in a hot and humid chamber. His pyramidding has had a lot of improvement from when I got him. Are there other alternatives to grasses until spring comes back around? I have heard of things like the grasses in a pet store for cats but didn't trust them so... This is my first tortoise and so far he's awesome and I have put well over 1500 dollars in perfecting my care. Thanks for the feedback :)

Attachments

• 1416700432433.jpg
    1416700432433.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 1416700467307.jpg
    1416700467307.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 68

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Shell looks great.

For winter feeding: You can add blended rehydrated grass hay to the greens to improve them. You can make your own or buy bags of it ready to go at most pet stores. Sometimes its in the small animal section. You can also mix in some of this stuff: http://www.tortoisesupply.com/HerbalHay
You can also find organic wheat grass at most pet stores. Clip it off as needed and keep it watered in a window sill, so it will regrow several times. The pet store stuff is the same thing and it can be mixed in with greens too. Cactus pads are another good one. Should be able to find those at most Mexican grocery stores, or any "ethnic" grocery store.

Xavier

Shell looks great.

For winter feeding: You can add blended rehydrated grass hay to the greens to improve them. You can make your own or buy bags of it ready to go at most pet stores. Sometimes its in the small animal section. You can also mix in some of this stuff: http://www.tortoisesupply.com/HerbalHay
You can also find organic wheat grass at most pet stores. Clip it off as needed and keep it watered in a window sill, so it will regrow several times. The pet store stuff is the same thing and it can be mixed in with greens too. Cactus pads are another good one. Should be able to find those at most Mexican grocery stores, or any "ethnic" grocery store.
Thank you Tom, I read your new care sheet as well. I have passed on the word many times. I will go get some wheat grass and start growing it, and buy some of that blend too. I have tons of Timothy hay, is it good to put that in the food? Thanks again.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
It is pyramidding but the side has a slight bulge thing. I usually go out and pick grasses and weeds but as winter has decided to show up early everything is dormit. I live in Kansas and any nursery around doesn't sell grasses this time of year. So I have had to stick to leafy greens and other produce. He is a Leopard Tortoise and he lives in a hot and humid chamber. His pyramidding has had a lot of improvement from when I got him. Are there other alternatives to grasses until spring comes back around? I have heard of things like the grasses in a pet store for cats but didn't trust them so... This is my first tortoise and so far he's awesome and I have put well over 1500 dollars in perfecting my care. Thanks for the feedback :)
I'm shocked at home much she has grown since you changed her enclosure, Xavier!

Xavier

I'm shocked at home much she has grown since you changed her enclosure, Xavier!
Thank you! I know sexing is a long way off but he is actually starting to show signs of being a male! Things can change but thank you! :)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Go to one of those grocery stores that sell bulk grains that people sprout. I call them “hippy markets" and buy yourself some, “organic wheat berries". Sprout these, “berries" in trays in soil and feed the grass that grows from them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have tons of Timothy hay, is it good to put that in the food? Thanks again.

If you can get the particle size down, rehydrate it, and then mix it in with leafy greens, it will be a good addition. Start with small amounts if you decide to try it. Get them used to it gradually.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Xavier, I'm not sure if you can see it without zooming into these pictures but I add pulverized rehydrated orchard grass to my leopards meals. I even add it to my very young hatchlings food. She's about 5 weeks old now.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1416766234.863480.jpg

And yes the presentation of this plate is over the top, but I'm sharing so you can see that the grasses stick to the greens and even the picky eaters will inadvertently eat the grasses and eventually will eat them willingly.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1416766545.879270.jpg

Also, I chose orchard hay over Timothy hay because it seems softer and less "stalky". I use a small food processor to get it to a size that is easy to sprinkle and easy for them to eat.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
^^just realized that plate also has grassland pellet crumbs all over the top too. The canister of zoomed grassland pellets I have has a ton of powdered/loose crumbs so I have been sprinkling it over their food too.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Xavier, I'm not sure if you can see it without zooming into these pictures but I add pulverized rehydrated orchard grass to my leopards meals. I even add it to my very young hatchlings food. She's about 5 weeks old now.
View attachment 106147

And yes the presentation of this plate is over the top, but I'm sharing so you can see that the grasses stick to the greens and even the picky eaters will inadvertently eat the grasses and eventually will eat them willingly.
View attachment 106148

Also, I chose orchard hay over Timothy hay because it seems softer and less "stalky". I use a small food processor to get it to a size that is easy to sprinkle and easy for them to eat.

That feeds two, 1lb leopards and two .5 lb leopards.