Pyramiding and New Growth

Linzie

Hello,

I searched the forum for this and couldn't quite find what I was looking for. I hope this is not a stupid question but my newly acquired tortoise has slight pyramiding from his previous care, he is just over a year old, and I've seen where people have posted of this and being excited to see new growth. For the life of me I cannot find what new growth looks like on a Sulcata. Could someone explain it to me or show me a picture?

Thanks in advance. Here's a lovely booty pic of Sheim for your entertainment :)
image.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The new growth will be between the scutes, and is usually lighter then the rest of the coloring. Hopefully someone will have a pic they can post to better understand. My our tort does have some pyramiding, but is your are keeping him in a humid environment, the new growth will grow in smooth and when he is much larger, you will hardly see the pyramiding.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Your tortoise shows very mild pyramiding and over all looks good. The very latest growth looks a little dry and rough. Is your tortoise recently spending much more time outside, or did the environment change drastically in the last few weeks? The earlier growth was looking pretty good, but the more recent growth looks like its happening in a drier environment.

Linzie

The new growth will be between the scutes, and is usually lighter then the rest of the coloring. Hopefully someone will have a pic they can post to better understand. My our tort does have some pyramiding, but is your are keeping him in a humid environment, the new growth will grow in smooth and when he is much larger, you will hardly see the pyramiding.
Your tortoise shows very mild pyramiding and over all looks good. The very latest growth looks a little dry and rough. Is your tortoise recently spending much more time outside, or did the environment change drastically in the last few weeks? The earlier growth was looking pretty good, but the more recent growth looks like its happening in a drier environment.

Thanks for your reply. I've had him since 7/10, he was placed outside for the first time in his year life, where he's remained, since 7/12. That picture was from about a week after I got him, I just snapped a few and will post those below. I live in louisiana so we have a constant humidity level of 70-90% outside, temp at night is between 70-85 but I installed a CHE on a thermostat set at 87 in case it falls too low at night. I also put a bowl of water below the CHE to increase the humidity in his house while he sleeps. Day ambient temp is in the 90's+ where basking can can get as high as 110+. He usually sleeps during this really hot part of the day though. Right now he's walking around eating weeds but it's windy and only 55% humidity. Should I move him back inside so that he has a more stable humidity range?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg