Pyramiding in my tort??

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hey guys,
My tortoise is 1 year old(You probably know this if you read my recent post) and he has a little pyramiding in his shell. I know that I can prevent it my giving him a good diet and (most importantly) a humid environment. I'm not home for most of the day, and I can't buy a mister. Does anyone know how I can keep his enclosure and hide moist? ALso should I spray his hide when he goes to sleep so it's humid?

Also, apparently pyramiding only happens when tortoises are young. Is 1 old enough? or will he still get more pyramiding if I don't give him proper care?

THANKS
I apologize for my profound number of questions(im asking another one soon ;) )

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Diet has nothing to do with pyramiding. It is entirely caused by lack of humidity. Since your tortoise is young, you can still stop it, but you can’t reverse it.

Get your humidity up to 50-70, soak him daily, and wet his shell a few times a day. To get humidity up, you need to cover the enclosure and wet the substrate.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
ok thanks, but since im not home for most of the day, how do i spray the enclosure/get it wet?

Pyramiding in Russians is a lot less common than other species. Your enclosure must be extremely dry. Raise humidity levels to 50-70%

1. Pour, mist, and mix the substrate in the morning to get the desired humidity levels. You want it to be damp and not wet.
2. Use a good hygrometer to verify.
3. Repeat step when when humidity levels go down.