Pyramiding

killer MC

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Hi there I am worried that my tortoise is pyramiding can anyone help me in how to prevent it from happening I bought him two months agoScreenshot_2017-10-13-21-56-20.jpgDSC_0047.JPG

Alaskamike

South Florida
The are many threads on this. They give good detail. Start with the threads at top of the Russian Tort section.

Then look for a thread called " The End of Pyamiding " by @Tom. So one with more time might give you a link to it. Not hard to find.

Good fortune to you

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello

Your Russian is growing very rapidly, but is being raised far too dry.

You need to raise the humidity using damp substrate in a closed chamber to prevent pyramidding

I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Killer MC. Welcome to the forum.

Read those threads from Joe's Mum. It explains it all.

Also, I see you are using that "Pets at Home" substrate with the limestone bits in it. Encouraging a tortoise to eat its sandy substrate to satisfy its calcium cravings is a very bad idea. I recommend you with it ASAP.

killer MC

Scotland
Hello

Your Russian is growing very rapidly, but is being raised far too dry.

You need to raise the humidity using damp substrate in a closed chamber to prevent pyramidding

I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
Hi there thank you for your help, I will give it a read thanks

killer MC

Scotland
Hi Killer MC. Welcome to the forum.

Read those threads from Joe's Mum. It explains it all.

Also, I see you are using that "Pets at Home" substrate with the limestone bits in it. Encouraging a tortoise to eat its sandy substrate to satisfy its calcium cravings is a very bad idea. I recommend you with it ASAP.
I use pets at home substrate but also have calcium rock and cuttlefish bone, can you recommend an alternative?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Coco coir or fine grade orchid bark are the most popular substrates on here as they hold the moisture well.

Buy them from a garden centre or hardware store as it will be much cheaper. Just make sure there are no white bits, like vermiculite, or fertilisers added to it.

killer MC

Scotland
Coco coir or fine grade orchid bark are the most popular substrates on here as they hold the moisture well.

Buy them from a garden centre or hardware store as it will be much cheaper. Just make sure there are no white bits, like vermiculite, or fertilisers added to it.
Ok thank you :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I would caution against keeping a Russian tortoise in an type of high humidity, moist substrate situation. Especially one that has little capability of constant air exchange. Russian tortoises, while in the Testudo family, exist in a very different environment than the others. They basically survive in a temperate dessert with very seasonally extreme conditions. I would encourage any one that keeps Russian tortoises to first do the research on their environment before subjecting them to consistent high humidity conditions. As a baby tortoise, you can influence the type and rate of growth. You can also do so without subjecting a tortoise to such humidity extremes. As an adult, young or old, you aren't going to "fix" the current growth. Depending upon how much more growth the tortoise has to do, you can change it's course with some environmental changes. That's good but at the same time you may also be creating a long term battle with respiratory problems if too much humidity and lack of quality air exchange is involved. It's important to know what your species requires as far as environmental conditions. Not all species handle high humidity (or high or low temperatures) well. There is no "one size fits all".