PYRAMIDING

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
Do you think that the tendency to pyramid easier is hereditary? I raise all my hatchlings the same, however, it seems like the ones from a particular female are not as smooth as the others from different females which were raised in the same enclosure.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It's interesting and maybe there may be something genetic responsible apart from the lack of correct humidity which is the main cause, which has already been proven.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There is something, I just don't know what. I have raised 5 hatchlings now. I is now 2 1/2 years, the other 4 are 4 months this month. High humidity, swamp like conditions and they have all pyramided. All from same female. I have a 6th hatchling, but it was sold and I didn't have it very long to know if that one would have pyramided. That one is from a different female.
There is something else, that will make them pyramid even when raised in very high humidity.
I'm leaning more towards the heating/lighting and the lack of substrate coverage/leaf litter.
I'm hoping to not have to raise any more hatchlings. However, if I do, I will have lots of leaf litter and the enclosure will be inside a heated enclosure with only a tube flourescent uvb light within the actual tortoises enclosure, if that makes sense.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you think that the tendency to pyramid easier is hereditary? I raise all my hatchlings the same, however, it seems like the ones from a particular female are not as smooth as the others from different females which were raised in the same enclosure.
Yes, I do think genetics play a role in how prone to pyramiding they are.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
There is something else, that will make them pyramid even when raised in very high humidity.
Barb this makes sense to me but I may have gone a different direction than you regarding the why. I fully like the leaf litter with low heat producing lights. I, though think this in and of itself produces a high humidity environment for the hatchling.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Yes, I do think genetics play a role in how prone to pyramiding they are.
This would explain why Charlie is relatively smooth even though he didn't have the best conditions in the beginning, other than the soaks.

Kaliman1962

I have 2 of barbs babies. 1 is pyramiding, the other is not. they are both in a humid closed chamber. i'm using coco coir for substrate, repute-sun bulbs,i'll keep you updated on their growth. what is leaf litter? just old leaves?