Pyramiding

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
The bugs are probably springtails. They come in the substrate, are harmless to the tort, and are desirable, since they help clean the substrate. They eat food bits and poop. At first you'll have a lot of them, then over time their numbers will decrease to a tolerable level.

Are you using the links for the greenhouse that I posted as a starting point?

It's weird...the bulbs that Yossarian linked apparently aren't available in the USA. I wish they were, they look like good bulbs.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oh okay that make sense. I think he is starting to do that. Hopefully everything I have now will keep him warmer and awake.

Yes, keep him warm and bright lights for 14 hours/day. You may need to add a LED light just to make the enclosure brighter. It could go on the same timer as the basking light.

You might want a 2nd timer, too. The UVB tube only needs to be on around 3 hours/day, midday. Like 12-3:00, or 1-4:00 or 11-2:00.

Kirsty123

Chelmsford
The bugs are probably springtails. They come in the substrate, are harmless to the tort, and are desirable, since they help clean the substrate. They eat food bits and poop. At first you'll have a lot of them, then over time their numbers will decrease to a tolerable level.

Are you using the links for the greenhouse that I posted as a starting point?

It's weird...the bulbs that Yossarian linked apparently aren't available in the USA. I wish they were, they look like good bulbs.

Oh that's good then I wont worry about them. I forgot you put them in the link, ordered so much today. I will go back and look now as having trouble finding them. Thanks for the reminder.

Yes I've ordered the bulbs that's a shame you cant get them. :-( I feel so much better now knowing he will have the right equipment and his pyramiding hopefully wont get any worse. Thank you so so much for all your help.

Kirsty123

Chelmsford
Yes, keep him warm and bright lights for 14 hours/day. You may need to add a LED light just to make the enclosure brighter. It could go on the same timer as the basking light.

You might want a 2nd timer, too. The UVB tube only needs to be on around 3 hours/day, midday. Like 12-3:00, or 1-4:00 or 11-2:00.

I didnt know that about the UVB that's been on for 12 hours a day. I will make sure is just on for 3 hours going forwards.

And for the night time heat- have the thermostats set at 80degrees?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I didnt know that about the UVB that's been on for 12 hours a day. I will make sure is just on for 3 hours going forwards.

And for the night time heat- have the thermostats set at 80degrees?

Some experts think the indoor UVB contributes to pyramiding. In summer, if you can take him outside and give him access to sun for an hour 2 or 3 x/week, you won't need indoor UVB at all. Until winter when he can't go outside.

Yes, set the thermostat to 80°F.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Do you have the 2nd dome for the CHE? With a ceramic socket. Just a reminder.

The stand that you're using for the basking lamp is good, but when you put a portable greenhouse over it, the stand might not fit.

The greenhouse comes with a bar that goes the length of the greenhouse. You'll be hanging your lights and CHE from the bar at the height that gives you the temp you need underneath.

Kirsty123

Chelmsford
Do you have the 2nd dome for the CHE? With a ceramic socket. Just a reminder.

The stand that you're using for the basking lamp is good, but when you put a portable greenhouse over it, the stand might not fit.

The greenhouse comes with a bar that goes the length of the greenhouse. You'll be hanging your lights and CHE from the bar at the height that gives you the temp you need underneath.

I have ordered another ceramic socket which I can hang from the original stand I have. Is this okay or do I need another dome?

How do I hang them from the bar? In the greenhouse? I worry it will fall down if not tied?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have ordered another ceramic socket which I can hang from the original stand I have. Is this okay or do I need another dome?

How do I hang them from the bar? In the greenhouse? I worry it will fall down if not tied?

Just the ceramic socket is fine. You don't need another dome.

You can just wrap the cord around the bar a couple times to hang it. Or use a cable tie so it can't slip or slide. Or use a separate piece of wire to hang it.

Kirsty123

Chelmsford
Just the ceramic socket is fine. You don't need another dome.

You can just wrap the cord around the bar a couple times to hang it. Or use a cable tie so it can't slip or slide. Or use a separate piece of wire to hang it.

Perfect. Know it seems obvious but just want to get it right. I'm having a look now at the grow tents.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I was thinking more like this. You would continue to use your current enclosure. This would fit over it. Just find the one closest to yours in size that will fit.

He would stay in here until he stopped growing, or at least until all his new growth is smooth.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Just thinking simple here, an A frame roof on top of your current table with two big triangle pieces of mdf or plywood with a crossbeam and some plastic sheet over the top would be very easy and cheap. gives you something to hang lights from as well. You could permanently secure the back and leave the front as a flap so you can access it. You could probably get the wood free if you have any scrap or know any builders, they always have scraps.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
If you know anybody who is handy, we have the plans to build an entire pvc enclosure.

@Yossarian I was trying to get one cheap, fast, and look fairly decent. He's going to need to be in this for a couple years. But yes, building a structure like you described would certainly be a possibility!

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
If you know anybody who is handy, we have the plans to build an entire pvc enclosure.

@Yossarian I was trying to get one cheap, fast, and look fairly decent. He's going to need to be in this for a couple years. But yes, building a structure like you described would certainly be a possibility!

I disagree with the implication that my suggestion couldnt be all three. I only suggested it because I could literally knock it up in about 20 minutes with supplies on hand and it would look just as good as putting a greenhouse on top of the table. But admittedly, needs someone handy.

but i havent taken it too seriously lol.

It is unfortunate that we live a few hours away from each other and lockdown prevents travel. I have a lot of the equipment she needs, including a vivarium and all the lighting hardware. Sitting in storage.

Kirsty123

Chelmsford
I disagree with the implication that my suggestion couldnt be all three. I only suggested it because I could literally knock it up in about 20 minutes with supplies on hand and it would look just as good as putting a greenhouse on top of the table. But admittedly, needs someone handy.

but i havent taken it too seriously lol.

It is unfortunate that we live a few hours away from each other and lockdown prevents travel. I have a lot of the equipment she needs, including a vivarium and all the lighting hardware. Sitting in storage.

Oh really where do you live? Part of me is toying with the idea to just get a viv if he needs it for a couple of years. If you would be up for selling it. I could make something for now until the lockdown situation has changed?

Kirsty123

Chelmsford
Can I also ask why are people in england so anti Vivs for tortoises. I have no idea how you can keep anything humid that is open like a tortoise table.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Can I also ask why are people in england so anti Vivs for tortoises. I have no idea how you can keep anything humid that is open like a tortoise table.

The problem with Vivs is they really have a small footprint, they are long and narrow, and it is pretty easy to turn it into an oven if your not careful. So some of the opposition in the UK is based on old information that just gets rehashed endlessly and is used to circularly support itself, like "if it is too humid they will get shell rot". But some of it is because a Viv isnt really going to be suitable for more than a year or two because of the size limitations. But, that said, I think it comes down to the luck of the draw and the pet store people go to.

I live in S Wales, not too far from Cardiff. I was planning on selling the Viv, just havent done because I dont want to ship it, its too big, and lockdown makes it difficult for anyone to buy it. It has flouro ficture in it, but its for a t8 not a t5. Otherwise it has the ceramic heat emitter housing in it, as well. Ill put a few pics up in a minute. If your interested we can work out how to get it too you, even if we have to wait a bit.

VivFront.jpgVivFront2.jpg

Last edited:

Kirsty123

Chelmsford
Defo interested how much are you looking for it? Also sorry what's a T8? Is the the uvb bulb as I'm sure mine is a T8. Also what size is it? Thank you

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Defo interested how much are you looking for it? Also sorry what's a T8? Is the the uvb bulb as I'm sure mine is a T8. Also what size is it? Thank you

T8 is the type of bulb it takes, thetype of bulb determines the amount of UVB and how far from the bulb it is effective. T5 are generally the best, they are high output bulbs. in such a small space a T8 may be ok but hopefully someone can confirm or correct that for me.

Ill PM you about the Viv.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

UVB tube lights come in different strengths. T8's are an older version that don't perform as well as newer ones. They are larger in diameter than the new ones.

The new bulbs are T5 HO (high output). They're smaller in diameter and put out UVB more reliably. Because of the difference in size, different fixtures are required. It shouldn't take much to swap out fixtures if you'd like to upgrade.

I had noticed that you have a T8, but you had so much to change, I just didn't mention it yet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B084ZMW697/?tag=