Pyramiding

Kirsty123

Location (City and/or State)
Chelmsford
So I've set up the Heat emitter last night it is a 50v I'm worried its not powerful enough to do the job. It wasnt that hot and the thermostate didnt turn off. My tort still isnt really moving today or eating. Will he die if he tries to brumate being so tiny.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Dont worry about him trying to brumate, if you keep the lights on and keep waking and soaking him and feeding him he wont.

As for the emitter, they produce heat the same way sunlight heats the inside of a room, The far infra-red is absorbed by surfaces and converted to heat energy. Uncovered I wouldnt bother using the thermostat, the emitter wont change the ambient room temp enough. It will still provide a low level of constant heat nearby it though, and you can provide a hide nearby as well, the hide will absorb the energy and the inside should stay a little warmer. The level of heat is not very intense so as long as nothing touches the bulb its pretty safe.

Kirsty123

Chelmsford
Dont worry about him trying to brumate, if you keep the lights on and keep waking and soaking him and feeding him he wont.

As for the emitter, they produce heat the same way sunlight heats the inside of a room, The far infra-red is absorbed by surfaces and converted to heat energy. Uncovered I wouldnt bother using the thermostat, the emitter wont change the ambient room temp enough. It will still provide a low level of constant heat nearby it though, and you can provide a hide nearby as well, the hide will absorb the energy and the inside should stay a little warmer. The level of heat is not very intense so as long as nothing touches the bulb its pretty safe.

That's great thank you. He just wants to hide at the mo. I will keep doing what you said thank you.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
@Yossarian I was trying to get one cheap, fast, and look fairly decent. He's going to need to be in this for a couple years. But yes, building a structure like you described would certainly be a possibility!

I disagree with the implication that my suggestion couldnt be all three. I only suggested it because I could literally knock it up in about 20 minutes with supplies on hand and it would look just as good as putting a greenhouse on top of the table. But admittedly, needs someone handy.
but i havent taken it too seriously lol.

I really had no intention of implying such a thing, as I have never seen your work in this field. However, now that you have brought your skills to the forefront of this conversation, I'd like to see something, anything, that you have constructed.

When reading a paragraph such as yours involving construction, I automatically envisioned what my structure would look like if I built one. The haphazard pile of firewood draped in a shower curtain, placed into a nice living space, was a resounding no-go.
?????