pyramiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

mick48

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
ive been give a year old herman with slight pyramiding on his shell and iam just wondering if anyone knows the best way to treat it,i feed him cabbage dandilion kale with calcium powder on it is there anything i should do to stop it getting any worse.any help would be great thanks

M

Maggie Cummings

mick48 said:
ive been give a year old herman with slight pyramiding on his shell and iam just wondering if anyone knows the best way to treat it,i feed him cabbage dandilion kale with calcium powder on it is there anything i should do to stop it getting any worse.any help would be great thanks

I don't know anything about Hermann's, but I was taught that cabbage causes gout in people and tortoises. I sure wouldn't feed it regularly...Have you added a cuttlebone to his enclosure, that's about the best source of calcium there is...

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto
No tort expert, but I've heard hydration, or lack there of, is a culprit

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
It will need a better diet with more variety than you mention. Natural sunlight, Calcium, proper heat, and humidity. Depending on how bad it is, it will smooth out a bit in time with proper conditions, but it may never go away. Post a pic.
Check the Hermmans section..

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Mick

I live in Canada, in a city where the winters are really cold, so it is hard to grow food for my Hermann outisde. Where do you live?
Since in the winter it is hard to find food for Hermy my hermann, this is what I feed him (I try to buy Biologic food as much as possible)
Kale (not often a little bit every 3 weeks)
Water cress
escarole
endive (not often, once or twice every 2 weeks)
Chicory
mâche
spring mix salad
collard greens
dandelions
betts leave (once i a while)
cactus pear (as a treat)
shredded carrot (as a treat)
mustard greens
turnips greens

The variety is very important. you should stop offering cabbage to your Hermann.

mick48

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thanks for the replies,sorry i didnt mention i already have a yr old herman whos fine its just this other fellow iam worried about and wondered if theres anything extra i shud do for him,i will try and put pic up the pyramiding is slight but iam just worried in case it gets worse

Status
Not open for further replies.