Pyramiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

socialworker81

5 Year Member
Several months ago, I asked about keeping redfoots. I rescued some from a pet store in dry conditions and with terrible pyramiding. Thanks to all the advice, i think they are much happier now :) I keep cuttle bone in the enclosure and I have seen them munching on it. Is there anyway to reverse pyramiding? My guess is no, but it doesn't hurt to ask!!!

MarissaAndRFTortoiseMilo

5 Year Member
You cannot reverse pyramiding, but if cared for properly, the shell should start growing smoothly again. That does not mean that the bumps will go away, it just means that they shouldn't grow any taller, new growth will be smooth :)

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
No, its unfortunate. You cant reverse. Pyramiding. You cannot only correct it. But look at it this way, it does give them character.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
socialworker81 said:
Several months ago, I asked about keeping redfoots. I rescued some from a pet store in dry conditions and with terrible pyramiding. Thanks to all the advice, i think they are much happier now :) I keep cuttle bone in the enclosure and I have seen them munching on it. Is there anyway to reverse pyramiding? My guess is no, but it doesn't hurt to ask!!!

a 1/2 inch pyramided shell on a 3 inch baby tortoise sticks out like a sore thumb.. the same area on a 10 inch adult tort is barely noticable.. as they grow it won't be as noticable..just keep an eye on the growth rings to make sure you've nipped it in the bud!

socialworker81

5 Year Member
Thanks for the help. I am sure they are close to full grown. It does give them character and both seem to be doing just fine, especially when they get their favorite food! ( bananas). :)

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
That being said (close to full grown) makes me wonder if you got them at a mega pet store or a mom and pop. I've never seen any tort bigger than 5 inches at either. I don't know where theyd house a 12 inch tortoise, you made quite a find. Careful with the banana they can go on hunger strikes and manipulate you to feeding it to them more than is healthy..

socialworker81

5 Year Member
Lol, those tortoises love hunger strikes until they get what they want. I feed it about twice a month. I did buy them at a mom and pop store. They seem very knowledgable about reptiles, so I was concerned when I saw they had pyramided tortoises. But they both seem healthy. The store also has a full grown sulcata. I think someone couldn't take care of it, so they gave them the tortoise. He looks very unhappy. Our area gets cold and snowy. It didn't even look like the sulcata had ever been outside :(

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
socialworker81 said:
Lol, those tortoises love hunger strikes until they get what they want. I feed it about twice a month. I did buy them at a mom and pop store. They seem very knowledgable about reptiles, so I was concerned when I saw they had pyramided tortoises. But they both seem healthy. The store also has a full grown sulcata. I think someone couldn't take care of it, so they gave them the tortoise. He looks very unhappy. Our area gets cold and snowy. It didn't even look like the sulcata had ever been outside :(

Ha Ha I've heard sooo many stories about hunger strikes.. I'm lucky in that way... I remember a ma and pa store in Kansas City in the late 90's had a bigger python than the zoo because someone bought the snake when it was all cute and tiny not planning for the adult, poor sulcata, good rescue on your part

Status
Not open for further replies.