Pyramiding

sabnic

5 Year Member
I got my African sulcata from my cousin. I guess a lot if you guys would say rescinded due to the amount of pyramiding he has. However, because he has pyramiding will he continue to grow large in size? He is 5 years old and about 10 inches long. And roughly 6-7 inches wide. I've seen other torts that are larger then he is that are a out the same age range. So that's why I'm curious if he won't get larger in size due to his amount of pyramiding that he has.ImageUploadedByTortForum1386559786.398849.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, he really does have a lot. I would say he was kept in all the wrong ways, not just hot and dry. Can you also get a side view of him. From the pic, he looks to possibly have MBD. Get him lots of sunshine, water, proper diet and he may start to grow and catch up. It has happened with others.

sabnic

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Wow, he really does have a lot. I would say he was kept in all the wrong ways, not just hot and dry. Can you also get a side view of him. From the pic, he looks to possibly have MBD. Get him lots of sunshine, water, proper diet and he may start to grow and catch up. It has happened with others.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1386561028.617745.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
That's not typical pyramiding as ice ever seen it. In fact, he looks almost identical to another sulcata I've seen that did have MBD.

To answer your original question, yes I think he will be a smaller than average sulcata.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Heather. Looks to have MBD. I also agree, he may not grow as large as he normally would have if he was taken care of properly. However, if given the proper diet, hydration, sunshine, etc, he may still put on some good size

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Aww poor thing :( besides the mbd look at how thin his legs are :( he looks skinny and dehydrated to me :( good job rescuing him!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My kinda sulcata! I know that may not "sound" right, but I am very interested in how things like this happen and then what the future holds for such animals. I would never wish this on any tortoise, but when it has, they tug on my heart and make me want them to have good future lives. So glad somebody has him who is interested in his future. ;) Usually with tortoises with this kind of start to life do not grow as big as others do. Also you need to keep a little better eye on him, as he may be more prone to other issues down the line, so his life span may also be shorter. :(

kjr153

5 Year Member
This is just ridiculous. I'd say this has to be some kind of neglect.

I hope you can get him looking better!

kjr153 said:
This is just ridiculous. I'd say this has to be some kind of neglect.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
kjr153 said:

No, he'll never look any better. But his life has now changed for the better. He's in a much better place.

Laura has a sulcata that looks quite similar to this one. Hopefully she will see this thread and post a picture of what her sulcata looks like now, after years of a better quality lifestyle.

sabnic

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
kjr153 said:

No, he'll never look any better. But his life has now changed for the better. He's in a much better place.

Laura has a sulcata that looks quite similar to this one. Hopefully she will see this thread and post a picture of what her sulcata looks like now, after years of a better quality lifestyle.

Do you know what Laura's name in here is ? Maybe I could search for her through threads or something.

lkwagner said:
Aww poor thing :( besides the mbd look at how thin his legs are :( he looks skinny and dehydrated to me :( good job rescuing him!!!

I soak him 3 times a week..and I always have water for him..although I never see him drink! I really wet his food when I feed him to make sure he gets water intake..and when he pees it looks normal. I've read threads about dehydration. And the deposits that canbe very solid..his are normal looking..any other ways to get him to take in water? Food that contain more water then others?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
sabnic said:
Yvonne G said:
kjr153 said:

Do you know what Laura's name in here is ? Maybe I could search for her through threads or something.

Maybe this Laura
Here's one thread: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66666.html

Another: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-24694.html

sabnic

5 Year Member
jaizei said:
sabnic said:
Yvonne G said:
kjr153 said:

Maybe this Laura
Here's one thread: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66666.html

Another: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-24694.html

Thank you! I've sent her a private msg. I'm all ears in how to improve Perry's life and make it better for him !

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Aw poor sully! Thats sad that he has grown up to have such severe pyramiding, but what really matters is that he is now in the hands of someone who will take proper care of him. He can live a good life from now on