Pyramiding?

MattTL

My Russian tortoise has a shell that could potentially be pyramiding. How can I tell? Is it starting to pyramid?
ImageUploadedByTortForum1392270550.838013.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1392270573.421588.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MattTL

Sorry for posting that, I am newer here and did not realize how many pyramiding threads there were. I am just unsure if applies to my tortoise. The more information I knew about it the better.

Thanks.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
The most common mistake that new keepers make regarding Russians would be from an enclosure point of view. If your tort has plenty of room to roam, basking spot from 95 to 100 degrees, and cool side 70 to 75 degrees (night can be in the 60's), with humidity 50% to 70% when adults; then your on the right track.

Proper lighting is another essential factor. Also check for substrate and diet.

Good luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Your tortoise is fine. Once they are that size, they are not going to start pyramiding. It is more of a concern for growing babies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Matt, and welcome to the Forum!

We have been putting a lot of emphasis on pyramiding in tortoises for the past couple years, and I think a lot of people are getting the wrong message.

The Mediterranean species of tortoise do not pyramid as easily as say, the Leopards, stars and sulcatas. When we harp on pyramiding, we're mainly talking about those species.

The first year of life is the important time to prevent pyramiding. After that, the shell contour has been set.

Your Russian tortoise is just fine. The growth is already going in the direction it's going and there's not much you can do to change it. Now if you all of a sudden start ignoring the tortoise and his daily care drastically changes for the worse, you may see some bad growth, but I just don't see that's going to happen.