Pyxis arachnoides brygooi and oblonga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I don't know the specifics, but Mike Ogle told me they were incubated as females. I assumed he was referring to higher temps, which usually mean female, and split scutes, since 3 of my 4 have splits as well. I know he employed the all important diapause as well, but that's all I really know.

None of mine have any pyramiding at all, but the Bronx Zoo's group had many specimens that were very pyramided. Just to add my two cents.

markooij82

5 Year Member
OK thank you
Here there is said that to dry incubation is the reason for split scutes not the temperature.
Got 10 Testudo hermanni incubated at 34 degrees and only two animals had a split scute.
Some breeders here incubate Pyxis at 32degrees for 12 hours and 26 degrees at night for 12 hours then diapause at room temperature about 18 degrees and this method produce as far already known females.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
That's great. Like I said, I don't really have alot of confidence in my knowledge on the subject of Pyxis incubation, as there is nothing written on it, that I have found, so I planned to ask around more when the time came. Everything for me to this point had been little tidbits I had been able to scrape together, and me filling in the blanks with lazy hunches I guess.

I'm sure there will be others willing to share their expereinces with me when the time comes. Hpoefully :)

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
My experience is that Pyxis do in fact grow very slowly for the first few years. I have seen many hatchlings grow from a hatching weight of 12-14 grams to around 30-40 grams within the first 3-6 months of age. Then they seem to plateau for several years.
As for incubation, I have several methods that I have successfully used with my Paa eggs. I have it posted somewhere here on the forum in a thread on diapause, I think.

markooij82

5 Year Member
Do you have a link to that post of diapause Tim/Robin?
I am very interested to read about that.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
http://theturtleroom.com/educationa...leries/pyxis-arachnoides-arachnoides-gallery/

Hey Mark, check out this link from theturtleroom if you'd like to read more about my animals. I have a pic or two of their Medium Waterland enclosure on there as well. I am pretty sure all of the photos on there are of my animals, but there might be a few from the Bronx Zoo's collection as well.

I meant to give you this link last week, but my computer broke..

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Anthony P said:
http://theturtleroom.com/educationa...leries/pyxis-arachnoides-arachnoides-gallery/

Hey Mark, check out this link from theturtleroom if you'd like to read more about my animals. I have a pic or two of their Medium Waterland enclosure on there as well. I am pretty sure all of the photos on there are of my animals, but there might be a few from the Bronx Zoo's collection as well.

That's still all your pictures, right now. I will add the Zoo pictures to it, however.

Mark - more on Anthony's P.a.arachoides here:

http://theturtleroom.com/projects/anthony-projects/pyxis-arachnoides-arachnoides4/

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
theTurtleRoom said:
Anthony P said:

That's still all your pictures, right now. I will add the Zoo pictures to it, however.

Mark - more on Anthony's P.a.arachoides here:

http://theturtleroom.com/projects/anthony-projects/pyxis-arachnoides-arachnoides4/

You're the best!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Great stuff Tim! I'm happy you shared that. I am going to transfer this to my P. a. arachnoides notebook, so I can have it on hand when the time comes. Hopefully sooner than later.

I really appreciate it, and I'm sure others will as well.

Tim, one question that's popped up... Do you have a particular humidity that you try to achieve during the differing stages of incubation? I would assume it would fluctuate with the temperature, but I'm sure there are natural differences in relative humidity in different parts of the world where we may be keeping them. So, trying to emulate your success in that area as well probably can't hurt.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Hello Benjamin
Is that particular brygooi still alive?

I have lost touch with those animals. Based on what I have heard many animals in that collection have died and I would expect the pyxis to be included.

In regards to the split scutes or extra scutes, I lean towards it being hereditary.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Benjamin said:
Hello Benjamin
Is that particular brygooi still alive?

I have lost touch with those animals. Based on what I have heard many animals in that collection have died and I would expect the pyxis to be included.

In regards to the split scutes or extra scutes, I lean towards it being hereditary.

Really interesting about the scutes Ben. I'm sure there are reasons for you thoughts on this. Would you be willing to share? I have heard so often the connection to high incubation temps, but not with this species, so I'd love to hear more about it.

markooij82

5 Year Member
The eggs here I incubate a month at 33-34 degrees then a diapause at 14-16 for two months then back in the incubator.
In the incubator the eggs lay on seramis and moist it when it dries out.
Till now some eggs are for the second time in diapause and no signs of development.
An other egg shows some little development.
Waiting is hard.....

LVAT

5 Year Member
France
I see that you have a lot of new tortoises compare to the last time I saw you ?

Very beautiful tortoises !!! After Malacochersus, Pyxis are my next target :) !!

markooij82

5 Year Member
Hello LVAT
Good to see you here also!
Always on the move about my collection of animals.
How are you and your animals?
Hope you can get your dream come true with the Pyxis

Thanks Anthony
I hope it works....

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I have never seen this type of tortoise.
They are just beautiful!

LVAT

5 Year Member
France
markooij82 said:
Hello LVAT
Good to see you here also!
Always on the move about my collection of animals.
How are you and your animals?
Hope you can get your dream come true with the Pyxis

Thanks Anthony
I hope it works....

Great !
My tortoises are very fine ! Thank you :)
I hope babies malaco in 4 months !

You have some baby pyxis to sell ^^ ? It would be great because in europe it's really to hard to find some of them...

markooij82

5 Year Member
I hope they will hatch your Malacochersus.
Here three eggs of them.
Till now I only have eggs of the Pyxis no own breeded animals.
Hope that will change in time.

LVAT

5 Year Member
France
For you what is the price of a pyxis ?

baby : 650€
Male : 850€
Female : 2000€

I think it's really too expensive no ?

Status
Not open for further replies.