Question: 2 males living together, no females

Status
Not open for further replies.

llamas55

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northfield, MN
Do you think this will work? mine is a fledgling male adult, 7" CH redfoot......someone suggested a male might be a better companion than the female I've been trying to acquire, because he might endlessly "hassle" a female. I don't like his being alone, any thoughts on just 2 males? would they co-exist, does it depend on the pair, or might they try breeding each other and compete in their small territory? or would they appreciate the company? thanks

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
bummer. it's nice and peaceable with just one, but I would think some activity and stimulation might be welcomed.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
I did learn from here on TFO that torts are solitary creatures. They do not get "lonely" and don't need a friend for "company".

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
maybe, but they are often found in the same sleeping places, and do leave a scent trail, acc. to the redfoot tort book

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
They are found in the same sleeping places because some sleeping places are more attractive than others ;) It is another form of competition.

It is the same as snakes, coiling up in the same spot. The one on top is dominating the one on the bottom. They are not "snuggling."

The only way to really know is to try it. Every tort has a different personality. Give them a good amount of space and plenty of hides and sight barriers, and be prepared to separate them and house one separately if needed. If you don't have the space to house two in separate enclosures, or won't be able to rehome one of them, don't try it. And don't forget about quarantining them.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Trtoises are pefectly fine alone, in fact they probably prefer it, most tortoises see others as competition for food, best basking and hiding spots, and such. I am not saying you can't keep two together, you can but they require lots of room and hidnig spots, some will co exist together peacefully, and others won't it is most like a crap shot. ")

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
llamas55 said:
Do you think this will work? mine is a fledgling male adult, 7" CH redfoot......someone suggested a male might be a better companion than the female I've been trying to acquire, because he might endlessly "hassle" a female. I don't like his being alone, any thoughts on just 2 males? would they co-exist, does it depend on the pair, or might they try breeding each other and compete in their small territory? or would they appreciate the company? thanks

Two males may or may not get along. In most cases they will if there is no female present. If there is another female present they often will resort to " ramming" .. and or " mounting" each other to show dominence. Even nipping and each other while the other is breeding( if they are not seperated). I do however believe in the RF's case they do serve a community type living. Not only at night but certian areas within the yard .. and its usally the same few torts in the same spot,
( hence the scent trails maybe) Also being in numbers in the wild would also serve as a " breeding" group within that area and the fact there is better chance of survival when in numbers. Iam just noting that all of mine definitly know each other and have a " dominate " male within the group. Males and females...17 of them :rolleyes:
HAPPY TORT~N
JD~:)

Status
Not open for further replies.