how many cherry head juvies can i keep together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tertle

5 Year Member
HI everyone.

I was researching on keeping multiple cherry heads in one enclosure, and something came up indicating that cherry heads might be better off alone vs redfoots or other tortoises...

i'm going to make sure theres ample food, hides, shade, territory marks etc, but If both the cherry heads are under a year old, how am i suppose to know if i'm putting two males together or whatever?

do many people keep young tortoises together?

I know they may not require the company, and am able to create two enclosures in case they don't work out so Please let me know :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You can only keep 5672 in one enclosure. Any more than that and all hell will break loose... :)

Okay, all kidding aside, redfoots, all types, are one of the species that get along with each other the best. I still wouldn't keep them in a pair, but three or more should be fine in most cases. How many you keep will depend on how big your enclosure is and how much you want to spend on food, electricity and other essentials. I saw a professional breeding operation with 100's of them in a giant enclosure that had a couple of human-house sized tortoise houses for them to come in and out of. So if the enclosure is well planted and you have a secured acre or two, you could keep dozens with no problem.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
May I ask where you saw that comment? Most things I have read and experienced indicates that they are fine in groups- always assuming enough space and resources.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
May I ask where you saw that comment? Most things I have read and experienced indicates that they are fine in groups- always assuming enough space and resources.

Mark .... They probably saw it in here ! You dont know how many times I've seen it said they are Solitary animals thats a bunch of BS! As far as I’m concerned yes any species can live alone , but for happiness , health and reproductive success, bonding of pairs do take place, thus company must be near~by. Also natural competition for foods and mates, building vigor within the groups of “that” particular area also makes since.
For the person starting the thread yes ….Redfoots do very well in groups if adequate space is given.

PS: Tom .....5672 ....<~~~~ Ha ha ha ha

JD~:)

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
I've always heard that male cherryheads can be prone to agression. In fact, I believe I heard that here. Is there any validity to this?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Any male tort can be aggressive... Tort romance involves butting, biting and mounting... It's not cuddly romantic . They don't give up easily. :D

As long as one individual isn't the constant recipient of attention all should be OK. In practice that means have 1 tort, or 3 or more torts, and plenty of space.

imranuddin93

5 Year Member
sorry to bump this, but when keeping multiple redfooted or cherry heads, how much space is needed per tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.