Question about keeping two russians

kyleelynnj

Location (City and/or State)
Farmington hills mi
Hello! I have about 3 questions for you guys, and i will preface this by saying that i have done my research and i understand the aggressive dynamic between male and female russians.

I have two Russian tortoises, male and female, and I have them in separate enclosures. I live in Michigan, and in the summer I'm making them an outdoor enclosure. Should I separate the enclosure into two parts and keep them away from each other, or since it will be large do you think they are Okay? They lived together at first in one enclosure, and over time the male became aggressive (I figured this would happen) So I had another one and they are now separated.

One thing I would like to add, is that no matter where the male goes, she always follows him. Even when he is being very aggressive I would move her to the other side of the house and she would go back, and be next to him. Why does she do this??? Anyways I'm afraid if I put them together in an outdoor enclosure she won't hide from him, and he will just do this again.

My third question is, now that they are separated, should I be letting them be together at all? Soak together? Anything like that?

Thanks guys in advanced!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Best to keep them separated all the time. Indoors, outdoors, soaks, etc...

If you want them to breed, you can put them together for a day here and there in the spring and fall. Just supervise and watch out for excessive aggression.