Question about PetSmart

Shari M

Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area California
Hello to all...

My name is Shari and I am new to posting here so forgive me if I am posting as a new thread and I was not suppose to. I am just so sad right now....

Here is what happened and my question:
I was going to buy my dogs food today at PetSmart and as usual I check in on the turtles and torts (usually the Russian is not visible (usually he is in his hide). Today was different and I am sorry that I even looked inside the "tank" :(
Today what I saw made me so sick to my stomach and SO mad. Today the poor tort was obviously not doing well and perhaps dying. First of all the food was not what a Russian should be eating, It was what looked like canned chopped something (almost like olive tapenade. Definitely NOT fresh whatsoever). When I looked closer at the poor baby he was SO SO skinny. I couldn't see his head because it was buried into the substrate on the back side against the glass. His legs were so thin and his poor tail was so discolored. I feel so bad for this little guy.
My question is....What can I do??? Does anyone know who I can call? I told the manager that the poor thing is dying and, well....you know that will probably not go further than that....seeing as the manager was about 19.
Please help

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Call the district manager or ask for him/her. Bring in a caresheet from the forum and ask them to please improve his care and that they should probably have him looked at by a reptile vet. If nothing is done ASAP, he should really be taken off display to be treated until healthy, but if nothing is done ASAP, call an animal cruelty in your area and report them. Good luck, thank you for stepping up to be the torts voice and keep us posted

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The Petsmarts here in Florida always have Russians and they are always crammed together and rough looking.
I think that it is an issue with the parent company.

Shari M

Bay Area California
Here is an update...
I called the 800 number when I got home and talked to a man that seemed un-alarmed at what I was telling him. I asked him for the number of the "District Manager" in my area and he proceeded to tell me that he didn't have that number. I then asked for a number of someone that could help me and he gave me a number at Corporate and said I had to call in the morning...really? I just got done telling him that there was a reptile that was dying :( (really makes me not what to support that store anymore).
I took the number and then went to plan B. I called the store in hopes someone there could give me the district managers number. I spoke with the manager at the store and I honestly can say that he seemed really concerned. He assured me that he would go and check in on the tort and have it looked at by a vet the next day. I also asked for the DM's # and he was happy to give it to me. I will be calling again tomorrow to follow up with him. I really hope he/she is going to be ok.
THANKS TO ALL who replied. I was really sad. I am new to the tort world as of Christmas...but I have been learning all that I can for our little guy/ girl ;) Well, actually it's my son's new baby.....but I sort of feel like I'm the surrogate ;))
TK,
Shari

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
You're doing well Shari and for that many of us thank you. Caring for/about a living creature often times brings a heavy heartache, especially when you run across those that don't care. Again, thank you so much for caring.