Question about using Pellets

dmills4229

Location (City and/or State)
CRYSTAL CITY
Hello, I have recently learned about a couple of tortoise food pellets that I didn't know about before. I wanted to get opinions on using them as substitutions for what is the "traditional" diet for redfoots.

I only feed my tortoise one type of food each day, and actually keep track of my feedings by counting the feedings of fruits, greens, vegetables, and Mazuri to try and provide an accurate balance. If I mix foods together, she will just pick through and eat her favorites.

I wanted to start using Zoo Med Forest Tortoise and Rep-Cal tortoise pellets as substitutes.

Are these considered "whole foods" and check all the categories?

Same question for the Mazuri.

Thanks

Vintage

Toronto
Hello, I have recently learned about a couple of tortoise food pellets that I didn't know about before. I wanted to get opinions on using them as substitutions for what is the "traditional" diet for redfoots.

I only feed my tortoise one type of food each day, and actually keep track of my feedings by counting the feedings of fruits, greens, vegetables, and Mazuri to try and provide an accurate balance. If I mix foods together, she will just pick through and eat her favorites.

I wanted to start using Zoo Med Forest Tortoise and Rep-Cal tortoise pellets as substitutes.

Are these considered "whole foods" and check all the categories?

Same question for the Mazuri.

Thanks

I use the Rep-Cal pellets, aka "fruity pebbles". They are enriched with vitamins and calcium. They smell like fruit and can be mixed with fruit juice or water. I feed them with fruit or greens, she usually eats at least some of them. It's formulated to be fed alone or you can mix it with other foods.

Skip K

Virginia
I prefer the Zoomed over Mazuri or any other pelleted diet because I like the ingredients better and has no artificial colors or additives. Mazuri has “cane molasses ” as an ingredient and can create a tort with a sweet tooth. Also...because I soak any pelleted food for ease of eating and hydration...I’ve noticed this...Zoomed takes a while to loosen up from soaking because of its density..while Mazuri becomes totally saturated in a couple of minutes. Which lends me to believe Mazuri is more loosely made...with shall we say...more “air” in its creation process. Whether that makes any actual difference or not...I don’t know...but I feel more confident about a denser pellet

Last edited:

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
The ZooMed tortoise foods, Grassland and Forest, they have the best balance of nutrients, ingredients, and fiber. It's a few $/lb, and more expensive than either Mazuri pellet (they have old type and LS type, with actual item numbers - I don't use them and forget those item numbers). But some of my tortoises have a price tag that makes that difference in cost trivial.

If you want some better economy than ZooMed, depending on how much you might use - check this out https://kapidolofarms.com/2020/08/08/layer-crumbles/
I've been using layer crumbles off and on since about 1990. Now they have an organic version so I use it a few times a week in rotation with other higher nutrition foods. When I do use the layer crumbles I make sure that's a day when I also ad some sort of compressed hay pellet or cube. The layer crumbles don't have a very good fiber profile, they also don't sugars added.

And yes I sell this stuff. Kapidolo Farms uses, and sells it, I don't sell because I think YOU should use it. I sell it because I think it's so good everyone who uses Mazuri ought to use it. I made smaller amount handy, or else you can buy 35 pound sack at a local feed store. Make sure to ask for the organic, there are a few organic layer crumble brands.