Tortoise pellet diet supplement

Verdura

Location (City and/or State)
Beecher, IL
Hello,

So I've been using mazuri tortoise diet as a supplement along with vitamin and calcium powders for my redfoot tortoise. He seems to have slowed down on the Mazuri as much and just eat his veggies more and leave the pellets behind. I tried soaking and dry. I even crushed it up and he doesn't seem to want to eat it anymore. So I tried this Rep Cal product that claims to be a maintenance food for tortoises, he seems to eat it like it's crack and I was just curious about your opinions on it if I should stop feeding it or not. 20180215_184549.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I have used that for over 25 years on my younger tortoises. I really like it and have great success with it. I even did a test with it with Rep Cal where I raised a group of sulcata hatchlings on this as 90% of their diet the first year. One of those sulcatas is my biggest male I still have. 19 years old and 175 lbs. I saw no difference with them and the group I raised outside totally grazing naturally, except the ones on the pellets were larger. That was back when I didn't know about humdity so both groups also pyramided moderately but the same.

I know some here turn their nose up at the colors, but I find the ingredient, nutritional balance, type of calcium and D3 excellent. Plus, baby tortoises seem to take to this readily from the very beginning.

Verdura

Beecher, IL
I have used that for over 25 years on my younger tortoises. I really like it and have great success with it. I even did a test with it with Rep Cal where I raised a group of sulcata hatchlings on this as 90% of their diet the first year. One of those sulcatas is my biggest male I still have. 19 years old and 175 lbs. I saw no difference with them and the group I raised outside totally grazing naturally, except the ones on the pellets were larger. That was back when I didn't know about humdity so both groups also pyramided moderately but the same.

I know some here turn their nose up at the colors, but I find the ingredient, nutritional balance, type of calcium and D3 excellent. Plus, baby tortoises seem to take to this readily from the very beginning.
Thanks for such a quick response. I was worried about it having too much protein in it but seeing your response on your experience with it has eased my mind on the product. Thanks Markw84

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thanks for such a quick response. I was worried about it having too much protein in it but seeing your response on your experience with it has eased my mind on the product. Thanks Markw84
I certainly would not recommend it as a staple diet. That was just an experiment I agreed to back then in working with diets.

As part of a varied diet, like many of us use Mazuri, is totally fine and I feel of value. I really never do supplement with vitamins/minerals powders and instead use this for youngsters or Mazuri a few times a week with their food.

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
Hello,

So I've been using mazuri tortoise diet as a supplement along with vitamin and calcium powders for my redfoot tortoise. He seems to have slowed down on the Mazuri as much and just eat his veggies more and leave the pellets behind. I tried soaking and dry. I even crushed it up and he doesn't seem to want to eat it anymore. So I tried this Rep Cal product that claims to be a maintenance food for tortoises, he seems to eat it like it's crack and I was just curious about your opinions on it if I should stop feeding it or not. View attachment 230653

Why feed something with artificial colors and ingredients? I feed mine a variety of greens, vegetables (including mushrooms) and flowers when in season. I add a protein source like chicken every few days. I sprinkle with vitamin supplements every few days. She's only 1 1 /2 years old but weighs over 700 grams and longer than 8 inches. There are no colored food pellets in the wild, why even consider using them when you should be controlling her diet to provide the healthiest foods possible. At least you asked, that's a good sign.