Question about weight

J.P.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Hi guys, I recently pruchased two leopards from a local reptile importer. I chose the best looking(healthwise) and most active in the bunch. Both are 3 inchers, the other is 130 grams, but the other is only 95 grams. Is 95 underwieght? The light one appears healthy, eats rather well for a leopard (but the heavy one eats almost twice as much), normal BM, pretty much passed the checklist of things to watch out for when buying a new tort. Based on physical observation I attribute some of the weight difference to the other being higher domed and it's bigger appetite, but I am not sure if there could be any cause for alarm. One more thing I noticed about the light one is it drinks a lot more than the heavy one, could it be dehydrated? They both have smooth shells, and these guys are supposedly imported from Florida, so I am not worried too much that they were dry started.

They are now being kept according to Tom's style. Please let me know if I need to do anything else.

PS: Do we have something like a Jackson Ratio for leopards so I can dtermine if their weight is ideal an any given time?
For the moment all i can do is ask those who have recorded weight/size data of their torts.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where are you? Imported from Florida?

They are all different and grow at different rates. People in Florida can still start them too dry in their indoor enclosures too. If they've made it to 95 and 130 grams, they are probably okay.

I wouldn't house them together. Pairs don't do well.

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
Thanks for your answer. Glad that I do not have anything to worry about. I just found the significant weight difference a bit disconcerting since they are the same length.

My leopards are in a group of 3, and soon will be four (it should actually be 4 by now but one got sick as soon as I got it and the vet couldn't do anything to save it). Once the group is ready for the outside 24/7, I plan on getting another batch to grow. I plan on getting six or seven leopards total. I do feed separately so everybody can have a peaceful meal.

I am in the Philippines, hot and humid almost year round, but the closed chmaber method is still working wonders for local tort keepers. Some still keep torts the old fashioned way, but most new keepers like me are using humid method.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My tortoises will be several grams heavier or lighter depending on their saturation levels...That is, how hydrated they are. Tom wasn't talking about feeding them separately (I DON'T THINK) He meant that they will not thrive together. One will become dominate, such as your heavier one may be and one will get harassed and become ill. There are MANY stories here such as yours. Good luck and welcome.

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
Thanks for stressing the point, but I know about not keeping torts in a pair because of dominance issues. That's why I have three and will be adding more, since leopards are one of the species that may do well in a group. Regardless of leopards being more "sociable" than other torts, I still prefer to feed individually for now.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Just in case you need to hear it again, the slight difference in weight sounds ok.
Based on all you've said, I think things are fine.