Question. (cuttlebone)

design

Location (City and/or State)
Port Huron, Michigan
I have cuttle bone in with all my tortoises. My Sulcata 600g 6” yearling likes to nibble almost daily but all seems good. My Sri Lanken Star 32g 3” hatchling and my daughters, @Toilandtrouble, Redfoot 48g 4 1/2” hatchling both have pieces of cuttle bone but neither seem very interested. At what age do they start getting interested?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
It’s not necessarily a certain age. It’s when their body needs it, that usually happens during periods of accelerated growth. My stars are always growing but have periods of accelerated growth during the warmer months. Also adult females who are developing eggs will need it more than an adult male.

design

Port Huron, Michigan
It’s not necessarily a certain age. It’s when their body needs it, that usually happens during periods of accelerated growth. My stars are always growing but have periods of accelerated growth during the warmer months. Also adult females who are developing eggs will need it more than an adult male.

Ok so just leave it in there so when they need it? I guess dumb question is...do cuttle bone go bad?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Ok so just leave it in there so when they need it? I guess dumb question is...do cuttle bone go bad?

Yes, just leave it there until they need it. They don’t go bad, I toss mine in their outdoor enclosure and they are just fine. They might not touch it for months even a whole year and then one day it will be destroyed by your tortoise.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm still waiting to see my RF eat some cuttlebone. I've had him in since January and the same piece I put in their when I got him is untouched.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, just leave it there until they need it. They don’t go bad, I toss mine in their outdoor enclosure and they are just fine. They might not touch it for months even a whole year and then one day it will be destroyed by your tortoise.
This has been my experience too.