Question (poop eating)

I love reptiles

Location (City and/or State)
Grand Haven
So I have an African Sulcata tortoise and I've had her for around 4 months and I've noticed that she eats her poop, I try to stop her but I wanna know if it's normal or even safe for her. I love her so much and I'd hate to see her get sick.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I have an African Sulcata tortoise and I've had her for around 4 months and I've noticed that she eats her poop, I try to stop her but I wanna know if it's normal or even safe for her. I love her so much and I'd hate to see her get sick.
Normal, but try to prevent it when you can. What size tortoise?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Try offering the tortoise some Minerall by Sticky Tongue Farms. It could be that his diet is lacking some essential minerals and he's recycling.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
she is around the size of a deck of cards
Ideally, you'd still be soaking one that size daily, and they should be pooping in the soak water. Poop eating won't be an issue in that case.

Here is the current and correct care info. Diet suggestions are included:

I love reptiles

Grand Haven
Ideally, you'd still be soaking one that size daily, and they should be pooping in the soak water. Poop eating won't be an issue in that case.

Here is the current and correct care info. Diet suggestions are included:
thank you so much

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, my sully was a poop eater also. I would try to get it before Opo did. But like Tom said, your sully should poop in his soak tub. After awhile Opo would poop in his soak dish and then immediately want out. So I had another soak tub ready with warm water. When he was small after a soak. Opo also enjoyed a shower in the kitchen sink. He would lay all sprawled out taking a shower.